Cakewalk hangs on "almost done" loading projects

Gerald Clark

Question

Hi

For the last week or so Cakewalk gives me the spinning disk on the opening screen (with recent projects) and when I click on one of them it tries to open and then hangs forever at "almost done".  If I turn off my audio driver (a UA Volt2) then it opens (but obviously I can't do anything), so must be related to this.  But drivers have been updated, so has Cakewalk, and still no change.

I read that a few years ago there was an issue with zipped files on the desktop, and I did have a relatively new one, so I deleted it, but no change.  I think this happened around the time I updated my Dorico, but can't see why that might have an impact.

Any advice appreciated.

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Gerald Clark said:

Thanks, but this doesn't help, because I don't want to bypass the plugins.  I want to find whats causing them to not work and fix it.

It's to bypass the plugins to assist in troubleshooting which one is causing the issue..... 

• Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, Gerald Clark said:

Any quick summaries you'd be able to give of how I'd go about doing that?  I guess turning them off one by one and trying to re-open it?

As you open a project in safe mode, it cycles through the project’s plugins asking if you want to disable.

First bypass all, just to make sure it is a plugin.

Then you bypass one at a time. 

Without knowing which plugins you use in the project, it's hard to recommend which ones to start with.

7 hours ago, Promidi said:

As you open a project in safe mode, it cycles through the project’s plugins asking if you want to disable.

First bypass all, just to make sure it is a plugin.

Then you bypass one at a time. 

Without knowing which plugins you use in the project, it's hard to recommend which ones to start with.

Thank you for this.  I've concluded it's not to do with plugins anyway.  If i have the Volt2 turned off everything opens fine, but obviously with no devices.  If I have it turned on I can open Cakewalk, but no projects (even in safe mode), so it is obviously some clash between the Volt2 and Cakewalk.  The Volt2 is fine with everything else.