Audio conversion to Midi working but strangely

Now that I have Melodyne working correctly under a trial version, I have my Drums to Midi sorted (works with drum replacer so I can choose bet fit)

However converting a bass guitar so I can use the SI-Bass guitar and things are a little weird.  Many notes created are below the lowest available in Si-Bass which requires a transpose by 12 to bring everything up an octave ( I assume 12 is the correct number to use = 12 semitones) Now I know the playing is a little sloppy (My ex lead singer playing bass)  but there are loads of miss triggers wrong notes etc. So I have 2 questions......

Is there no additional filter/import filter in after choosing Automatic, Default, percussive, melodic etc..? = e.g. Drum replacer offers a frequency dial to only trigger correct notes 

Otherwise, are there any suggestions on how to correct either the conversion of the track and/or correction of the midi once created and transposed?

I attach a section of the bass track (please don't be too judgemental on the playing style) I had to export an MP3 the source is a wav but too large to attach, but I believe an MP3 should be OK

Thanks

I forget where the setting is now offhand, but there is a preference setting to select the default octave. The SI bass needs that adjusted to talk properly with GM format (unless you want to manually transpose each time). Hopefully someone can chime in and tell you where that is at. It has been like that forever (the default) for some odd reason.

Quick edit: It is worth mentioning that the AmpleSound Bass P Lite (is nerfed a bit), is one of the best free bass VSTis out there.

Edited by mettelus

22 hours ago, mettelus said:

I forget where the setting is now offhand, but there is a preference setting to select the default octave. The SI bass needs that adjusted to talk properly with GM format (unless you want to manually transpose each time). Hopefully someone can chime in and tell you where that is at. It has been like that forever (the default) for some odd reason.

Quick edit: It is worth mentioning that the AmpleSound Bass P Lite (is nerfed a bit), is one of the best free bass VSTis out there.

Thanks I have downloaded and added the AmpleSound Bass P Lite and will try it.

I searched around both in CbB and Melodyne but failed to find the default octave setting so if anyone can direct me I would be grateful.

I have converted possibly over 100 bass tracks to midi so here’s what to expect. 
Yes it will be an octave lower for most VSTi like SI  and AmpleP Bass. 

Yes the duration will be overlapping which can cause the following note to be cut off. 

Yes there will be missed or additional notes. 

Tips: 

Record the bass loud. Don’t worry if you go red as it won’t matter in the end. It is  best to be max at -4db. If it isn’t then use Normalization to -4 db. 

Use only  1 PU that is the cleanest sound. Muddy sound won’t give good results but a brighter clean sound will. 

Those false notes are caused by unwanted notes being played or harmonics. So focus on clean and simple. It’s easy enough to add the fancy stuff later. 
Yes no matter what editing will be required. 

My routine is drag the bass audio track  to AmpleP bass track holding Shift to keep it in time. Use melodic setting.

Select all - Transpose 12  then pull duration back about 1/32 or until notes don’t overlap. 
Still selecting all, grab the lowest  velocity tail and drag it to max. Let go. Now drag them all back to around 106. That’s a sweet spot for AmpleP bass which is definitely the best I’ve ever had. 

Now start playback and edit duration and move notes around etc. I can do this pretty fast now. 
I might also open the drum track and then open the bass lane while holding CTRL so I can see the kick drum placement ghost in the background. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, John Vere said:

I have converted possibly over 100 bass tracks to midi so here’s what to expect. 
Yes it will be an octave lower 

Yes the duration will be overlapping which can cause the following note to be cut off

Yes there will be missed or additional notes. 

Tips: 

Record the bass loud. Don’t worry if you go red as it won’t matter but best to be max at -4db. If it isn’t then use Normalization to -4 db. 
Use only  1 PU that is the cleanest sound. Muddy sound won’t give good results but a brighter clean sound will. 
Those false notes are caused by unwanted notes being played or harmonics. So focus on clean and simple. It’s easy enough to add the fancy stuff later. 
Yes no matter what editing will be required. 
My routine is drag to AmpleP bass track holding Shift to keep it in time. Use melodic setting.

Select all - Transpose 12  then pull duration back about 1/32 or until notes don’t overlap. 
Still select all grab the lowest  velocity tail and drag it to max. Let go. Now drag them all back to around 106. That’s a sweet spot for AmpleP bass which is definitely the best I’ve ever had. 

Now start playback and edit duration and move notes around etc. I can do this pretty fast now. 
I might also open the drum track and then open the bass lane while holding CTRL so I can see the kick drum placement ghost in the background. 

Thanks John, These tips from an experienced user will be invaluable.