Why Developer Offers Both WDM & ASIO Audio Drivers for Win 10/11 Operating Systems

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Great news, I received a response from Sterling Customer Support.  I've copied the response below:

This is a customer service enquiry submitted on https://sterlingaudio.net/contact-us/. Please review and respond to the customer as needed.

Customer message and contact info:

Email:  XXX@XXXXX.XXX

How can we help?

I am interested in learning more about the Sterling Harmony H224 audio interface and the Windows driver package you provide.

Question 1: What descriptive label will be displayed when choosing the H224 midi input and output drivers?

Question 2: Are midi input and output ports also available through the interface's USB port?

Question 3: You offer both WDM and ASIO audio interface drivers. Is the ASIO driver a true, standalone driver or is it a wrapper?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reaching out. We've forwarded your question to our product managers for further assistance. As soon as this information becomes available, you will be notified. Thank you for being patient.

All the best,

Sterling Customer Support
sterlingaudio.net
(888) 621-2154

Edited by Jim Fogle
edited email address.
  • Like 1

Below is the April 25, 2024 answer from Sterling Audio:  I replied asking for clarification to the term, embedded ASIO driver, used in answer 3. 

Question 1: What descriptive label will be displayed when choosing the H224 midi input and output drivers? 

Assuming you are using Windows 10 or 11, If the H224 is selected as the Input and Output device to the Operating System it will allow for MIDI in and out to be used with a DAW via its 5-pin DIN connectors.  You should see the device label as “H224 MIDI”.

Question 2: Are midi input and output ports also available through the interface's USB port? 

The H224 is not designed to support USB MIDI.  MIDI connectivity is via its 5-pin DIN connectors on rear panel.

Question 3: You offer both WDM and ASIO audio interface drivers. Is the ASIO driver a true, standalone driver or is it a wrapper?" 

For Windows 10 & 11 Operating Systems. The H224 uses an embedded ASIO driver.  As long as the WDM driver is not selected for use in the Windows OS, audio will be processed via the ASIO driver.