Feature Request: Chord Track

Neel Modi

I would love to see a future version of Sonar include a chord  track like they have in Cubase and Studio One. Ideally, you can drag an audio clip to the track and it'll tell you what the chords are. Also, the ability to generate new MIDI or audio content (e.g. backup harmonies) based on the chord track. It's also an easy way to tell what chord you're in while the song is playing or you're recording a new track.

Thanks!

Neel

• Like 1

you could do the same with Melodyne essential - drag the clip to the time bar so it has the timing info, then set it as a Melodyne region which then displays the chords and while you cannot edit polyphonic info, you can export it as MIDI.

I think what the OP is requesting is also a bit more involved. The functionality of the chord track also includes manipulation of chords, inversions, or changing keys entirely (even to the audio material in all tracks under that chord). From my experience with Studio One, it seems that SOP is very much leveraging Melodyne algorithms to impart this functionality, but it has yet to be implemented in Cakewalk. Working with audio material specifically (loops or similar) that is in the wrong key, but "just snaps" to the chord it is dropped under is a bit more involved, so there isn't a work around for this request; it really does need to be implemented.

agreed. i haven't played with the Studio One implementation, and i think MIDI changes made from the chord track makes sense. not sure how well chord changes in audio work out though. even using Melodyne directly to tweak (acoustic guitar) for example, switch a chord from D major to D minor or adding a note (C Major to C add9 for example) might not work as well.

Edited by Glenn Stanton