The Instrument by Phil Speiser compatible with Cakewalk? Why isn't the VST2-version available?

Just testing out  the Instrument. Hopefully it will add some inspiration to composing new stuff. What bothers me is that midi recordnings renders different tones than the original sound while öive playing sounds different. The change is not huge. This is true for the VST3-version while VST2.-version in spite of fully installed and showing up in the Plug-in Manager and anabled but is not to be found in Cakewalk Instrument-menu. I have not a clue why that is. 

Cakewalk has an option to hide the VST2 version if there is a VST3 version installed.

vst3.png.2b08981d0a06f4cd1843f84fcb25f7cc.png

As a general rule, there should be no audible difference between VST2 and VST3 versions of any plugin. The difference between the two standards is merely how they communicate with the host, not in how they process data.

Thanks bitflipper. Speiser recommended to give VST2-version a try. Thanks to you I could activate it. But it messes things up even worse with a lot of extra midi notes I didn't play. 😕

Never heard of a VI doing that. Dropped notes, yes, but throwing in extras? That's a new one.

Are you sure your MIDI file doesn't have duplicate events? Easiest way to check that is to create a new MIDI track and manually draw in a few notes via the PRV.

5 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Never heard of a VI doing that. Dropped notes, yes, but throwing in extras? That's a new one.

Are you sure your MIDI file doesn't have duplicate events? Easiest way to check that is to create a new MIDI track and manually draw in a few notes via the PRV.

Thanks! Could be it. I've been away from it for a while but will test again in a couple of days. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 9:52 AM, bitflipper said:

As a general rule, there should be no audible difference between VST2 and VST3 versions of any plugin. The difference between the two standards is merely how they communicate with the host, not in how they process data.

Give Acon Digital Multiply a try in CbB and note the difference in sound between the VST2 and VST3 versions.

Be sure to turn your monitors down, because the last time I tried it, the VST3 version seemed to be feeding back on itself. Then it jams the meter to full scale and goes silent.

Mixcraft, which is otherwise known for being one of the most bug-free DAW's on the market, took a long time before most VST3's worked properly once they started supporting them. I stopped even trying to run them for a while.

So "how they communicate with the host" seems to be pretty crucial.

• Like 1