How to punch-transfer in Melodyne?

Hi guys. I bought Melodyne Essentials a few days ago and it's awesome.

However, I need advice on how to punch in/replace a small section in melodyne. For example, I needed to replace just four notes on my vocal track earlier. The only way I could think to do it was...

1- delete those four notes in Melodyne

2-  punch in the new four notes on the vocal track

3- Place the playhead right where I wanted it to start the transfer

4- Click tranfer in melodyne

5- try my luck to press the space bar to stop it immediately after the four new notes tranfered.

I'm guessing there's a better a way to do this.

For starters, is it possible to set up 'start & stop' tranfer points(Like punch markers) within melodyne so it will only tranfer in that precise section? 

If not, is it possible to set up start & stop points in cakewalk? (I only know of Loop & Punch)

Anyway, all tips are very appreciated. Thanks!

You don’t use it that way. You have to render the track first then re do it . You can’t edit clips that are open in Melodyne outside of Melodyne.  They are locked. 

You will want the spend a few hours watching their most excellent tutorials.  

It works best if you open Melodyne in short clips. I normally open one line of a lyric. Then  I render immediately. 
If I feel the clip is not working properly with Melodyne (it really sucks) then I usually just delete that clip and redo it. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Vere said:

You don’t use it that way. You have to render the track first then re do it . You will want the spend a few hours watching their most excellent tutorials.  

Hi John. Fwiw, it worked. I was able to tranfer into melodyne just those new four notes.

Are u saying that once the track is in melodyne, youre stuck with the whole track as is? IOWs, if u have to punch in on a track, ur supposed to start the tuning & editing process from the beginning again?

This is why you never load a whole track. You work with short sections. 
You just render it and all the changes you made are saved. Once a Melodyne clip is rendered it is back to normal and removed from computer system. Closing a project with Melodyne still applied to a clip can create issues. 
You can re apply Melodyne over and over to clips and it theoretically should not degrade the audio. But I wouldn’t count on that. Melodyne is destructive editing anyway.  

• Like 2