Bank change problems with Alesis QSR

Ellsworth Hall

Question

This was addressed some years ago on the old Cakewalk forum.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Bank-Change-problems-on-AlesisQSR-m84956.asp

However, although it was solved for the user "lumpypro" I am still having problems. I am using the Cakewalk .ins file for the Alesis QSR. Also tried the QS8 instrument file. Same issue.

Like lumpypro, I can change the QSR bank with a sys-ex command manually so I know the problem is not the QSR.

But in the Track View itself, it always defaults back to the User Bank. If I change the bank manually on the QSR and change the patch in the Cakewalk Track, it defaults back to the User Bank.  

I've confirmed in the OPTIONS -> INSTRUMENTS -> DEFINITIONS that my QSR Bank Select Method is set to Controller 0, which is what the manual says to set it to.

Confirmed General MIDI is turned off. 

lumpypro solved his problem by noting that on the QSR Global Edit Page 13, Mix Group Channel, had accidentally gotten set to 1 instead of OFF. 

However, my QSR IS set to OFF in Mix Group Channel and I still have the problem.

Any ideas out there? Thx in advance!

Ells

1 answer to this question

Sorry you didn't get a reply yet. Not many old time Hardware user left around here and people are being distracted by the release of Sonar. 

To answer your question I opened cakewalk and was expecting to find my instrument definition file for my Korg 05R/W which is same vintage as your Alesis. It wasn't listed and the link took me knowhere. I asked in another thread and that triggered me doing a search of C drive Cakewalk Content where I found the file. I see your Alesis is on the list too but only as the QS8. So I'm not sure you managed to get to this point but I'll post it anyhow for future reference of others. 

The INS files are found in C/Cakewalk Content/Instruments. 

Screenshot(439).png.13abcfc0135fef481da99f44c1a29010.png

In preferences you click on the Define to see the list and if your instrument isn't there you use Import and browse to above location where you will find most common Hardware midi devices listed. 

You load that and in the case of most brands it will list all of the products. You then choose your model 

Screenshot(440).png.837b2c83db30a603874a66c5097634a8.png

Then you connect it to the port you are using. 

Screenshot(441).png.157fa51f880ce8f6ddef4d97c026579d.png

And now the correct patches and banks will be available to a midi track that you select the same midi port as the output. 

Screenshot(442).thumb.png.4d151f98c528d611afa2ce5a7e76818b.png

Edited by John Vere