Audio Snap converting Audio Click to BPM @ 1/2 Time

Patrick Azzarello

Question

I'm working on backing tracks (again), and I'm having the same problem with multiple projects. 

• I import a set of files including a click track
  • I set the initial BPM to what I think it should be (in this case @92 BPM). 
  • I click on the click track clip, and change the view from Clip to Audio Transients
  • Confirm that the clicks are based on quarter notes. 
  • Open the AudioSnap dialog (alt+a)
  • Click on the Set Project From Clip button in the Audio Snap dialog. 

When I do this, instead of @92 BPM, it translates as 46.xx BPM. 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? I would think that this would have been an easy process since the transients are being detected correctly. It's almost like its detecting 1/8 notes instead of quarter notes. 

I've attached two images below (one with the clips showing, and one with the Audio Transient view turned on. 

Africa with transients.png

Africa wo transients.png

6 answers to this question

If you know it's 92bpm, and it was recorded to a click, you're better off just setting that project tempo manually. But the reason it's off is that Audiosnap is incorrectly detecting the clip tempo. Open the Clip Tempo Map from the Audiosnap Palette, and select the correct tempo from the drop-down at the bottom left of the clip.

33 minutes ago, David Baay said:

If you know it's 92bpm, and it was recorded to a click, you're better off just setting that project tempo manually. But the reason it's off is that Audiosnap is incorrectly detecting the clip tempo. Open the Clip Tempo Map from the Audiosnap Palette, and select the correct tempo from the drop-down at the bottom left of the clip.

It's not exactly 92 BPM, and I really want to lock this in where I can. 

This time it doesn't appear to be marking all of the beats within the bars, but that's not consistent either (1.1, 1.2, then skips the third transient and marks the fourth as  1.3). 

Audio Snap may be having issues. I'll reboot, reopen the project, and try your process again to see if that might be the issue. 

rebooted, moved the tracks closer to teh first beat, followed David's instructions, and got closer to what I needed, but not quite there yet. 

I'm going to try a few other things to see if I can lock things in better. 

Stay tuned. 

If anyone wants to check on the project, I can provide a small (three tracks, 30 seconds) CWB. 

Pat

I’ve been making backing track using a new trick. Cakewalk Next has stem separation tool. This gives me the Bass, Drums , Vocals and then a track called Other which is guitar and keyboard etc. 

I drag the stems from the Next audio folder into cakewalk. First thing I do is extract the tempo. 
I drag the drum track to the timeline and this creates a tempo map. First I normalize it to -4db. 
Audio snap is the old way and it never works perfectly. I find the tempo map created this way is most times perfect. Especially if the drums are more or less steady. And punchy. 

Next turn on ripple editing use Ctrl A to select whole project and then drag the project so the first downbeat is on the start of a measure. 
Now check out the drum track to see if the transients are on the grid through the whole song. 
Now I can replace parts as needed with midi and everything is tight. 

I find I can actually keep the audio drum track for a lot of songs. So here you have the original drummer in you band now. 
The bass I convert the stereo stem into mono and drag that to AmpleP Bass. A bit of editing and now I also have the original bass line too. 
I only use a few keyboard parts in my tracks and I just play along with the original and try to get it close. Having the original vocals and other instruments makes it super easy to nail down the proper parts and arrangement. 
So far I only had one song that I wasn’t that happy with but it just took extra work to get there. 
This is a huge step up from using downloaded midi files etc 

Edited by John Vere

I prefer using Set Measure/Beat At Now to manually sync the timeline to a varying tempo. By the time you do all the tweaks to get Audiosnap to "do it for you" you can generally do it manually with greater precision and more flexibility (i.e not snapping every single quarter note when the tempo is pretty stable for a couple bars.

I'd be glad to take a look at your sample, but I have an eye appointment first thing tommorow and my vision will be pretty trashed until the evening. PM a link and I'll get to  it when I can. Or you can hunt up one of the many posts I've made about the process over the years and have a go yourself.

Alright, so I got this figured out and it was much simpler than I thought. 

Instead of using Audio Snap, I simply

1. Set an approximate tempo for the tune

2. Align the click track to the measures as closely as possible - I usually start at measure 2 or 3 as I'm doing this for backing tracks and need some extra time for countoffs, send program changes, etc.

3. Shift-Drag the audio metronome up into the tempo track

4. A dialog will pop up telling me it could take some time - only a few seconds for clicks 

It lines up precisely ....

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best... the audio snap was much more complicated than it needed to be.