How do I create an FX track for a bus?

Darion

Question

I have a group of tracks routed to a single bus and wanted to use a reverb plugin of mine on the bus instead of having to for each individual track. Usually with single tracks, I just duplicate the track and put the FX on one track with only the wet signal activated. This helps me to mix the dry and wet signals. I obviously can't duplicate the audio bus and was wondering how I should go about this.

2 answers to this question

say you have a "master" buss where all the outputs are routed to. create a new stereo buss and call it "reverb", and route it's output to the "master" buss.

set up your reverb on the reverb buss and make sure the reverb output is set to 100% wet, and 0% dry. set the reverb buss to -12db on the volume fader for now.

next, on each track you want reverb on (e.g. snare, guitar, not kick or bass), create a "send" to the reverb buss. set each send to -4db (for starters). 

hit play. you should now have the reverb buss showing some activity and hear the reverb in the overall mix. 

as an extra, insert an EQ before the reverb and set the high pass to 300hz and the low pass to 2khz (for starters). this will help reduce extra LF and HF in the reverb content.

later you can discover more EQ after the reverb, compression, etc tricks as well as reverbs for vocals vs drums vs instruments like guitar and so on...

Edited by Glenn Stanton