Will changing PAN LAW mess up balance of my existing projects? And much more...

Wojtek Stecyszyn

Question

Few questions regarding PAN LAW:

1.What pan law settings in CbB are you using.

2.Do you mix in mono and use Cakewalk's build in mono button on the master bus or maybe plugin?

3. If I change the pan law settings now (after some years of commitment to a one pan law) will it mess up my projects? Will I loose the stereo balance of my mixes?

I will be grateful if you provide your answers to some of these questions. But if you have some spare time here is the story:

I am often checking my mixes in mono, but when I collapse everything to mono (using a build in mono switch on my master bus) everything is louder and it seems like I am loosing the overall balance of my mix. For instance - the guitars that are panned hard left and right are becoming in mono muddy and too thick and louder. So I tweak what's needed to make it sound good in mono, but then when I switch back to stereo I got different mix - guitars sound now to thin, more quiet and everything in general is quieter 2 dB. It is nothing like they say "If you make it sound good im mono and then when you turn it back to stereo whoa! it sound so much better". No in my case with this pan law I dont experience it at all. Same when using Chanel tools mono option. But when I use for instance Izotopes Ozone's mono button (plugin sitting on the master bus) I got different result - on the same mix I have good balance in mono and when flipped back to stereo its sounds better, then back to mono and the balance is preserved - its just mono instead of stereo.

Im thinking about testing other pan law setting, but first I wan to know if it is save to switch it back and forth ( I have currently some important sessions that I dont want to mess)

BTW my current pan law is Cakewalks default: 0dB center, sin/cos taper, constant power.

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet