The Wurly (Wurlitzer Electric Piano) is Coming Back!!!! (Hopefully, if this announcement isn't a scam)

PavlovsCat

Okay, Alan, so you've taken the research to another level! This is indeed the same guy behind the two websites linked in my earlier posts. The fact that Gibson consented makes it clear, this guy, or rather his LLC, owns the rights to Wurlitzer. Well, hopefully he can turn out a good Wurlitzer name worthy electric piano soon.  I would imagine that a factor, at least in the US, would be that Gibson hasn't used the Wurlitzer trademark in the category of musical instruments in far more than a decade. This entrepreneur in Germany is at least considering licensing the heck out of the Wurlitzer name. 

Also, due to the fact that you're so into this too, I have to ask, are you a fellow Wurly affeciaonado or did the content just interest you? My guess is that we lost everyone else with this -- but at least this mystery has been solved. 

But what about the Wurly trademark -- the one I searched the USPTO trademark database on last year. I didn't find this guy had a USPTO trademark for that (including different spellings). Did you? When he approached the dev demanding money or he would sue him, I searched specifically on wurly/wurli/wurlie and I don't recall he had anything registered for that. But I did find at least one of the German entrepreuner's Wurlitzer trademarks. I also found that a small sample developer registered a trademark for "Wurli" at that time. But based on my understanding of US federal trademarks, they're not a guarantee that the registrant is the owner, as the IP law firm I mentioned earlier puts it: "A federal trademark registration means that you carry the legal presumption of ownership of the mark and possess the right to use it. " 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1