Why Music Recording Had Advantages Before DAWs

kitekrazy

22 hours ago, kennywtelejazz said:

wish I hadn't wasted all the time I eventually did dicking around with it 

Yep. 

Very grateful for what I have, but I have allowed some of my skills to get rusty. I was fixing my cup of coffee this morning and thinking about working on my guitars, and doing this and that to a few of them. But then said, I should just go up there and start playing, cause it doesn't make sense to fix something I can't play. 

So I came and sat down, drank my coffee and started looking at this dang forum!!

I am going play now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grem said:

Yep. 

Very grateful for what I have, but I have allowed some of my skills to get rusty. I was fixing my cup of coffee this morning and thinking about working on my guitars, and doing this and that to a few of them. But then said, I should just go up there and start playing, cause it doesn't make sense to fix something I can't play. 

So I came and sat down, drank my coffee and started looking at this dang forum!!

I am going play now.

Yeah, this one strikes a chord similar to what @bats brew had said very early on... if you are not focused, it is easy to get distracted by something else. Just being in front of a computer has been the antithesis of being creative for me, so the only hardware I specifically purchased over the last several years has been to prevent/free me from sitting in front of a computer, specifically a wireless system and a HELIX Floor. Even if the signal is going ITB, I and can be standing anywhere and walking around, which is far more natural for me than watching a computer monitor.

Another disadvantage of a DAW, is people start to focus on doing everything solo (because they "can"), which isn't always the best path. I tend to be much more creative with real-time feedback and interaction, but that isn't the case for everyone.

[Stupid side comment] Reminded me of a nice anecdote when I typed the above... one company had a funny presentation of social interaction and used ants and cockroaches as the example... put 2 ants together, and their combined output is more than double; but put 2 cockroaches together and their output starts to plummet fast. One guy looked at me and asked, "So, is he implying we are all cockroaches?"

On 2/4/2024 at 9:13 AM, Grem said:

Yep. 

I am going play now.

I think that happens to many of us .  A lot of time wasting happens over here too.

Good Luck !

all the best ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz