No Sound but can see my controller is providing input

I'm new to DAWs and have installed Cakewalk along with an Akai MPK mini controller.  I have followed setup instructions and can see my controller is sending input to Cakewalk as I'm getting green lights on the level indicator when I hit the pads and the keys on the controller.  However, I am not hearing anything.  

I know the controller works because I set it up initially with MPC Beats and had sound from it.  Any suggestions?

BTW - my driver is a Realtek High Definition Audio

The controller sends MIDI messages to instruct a synth what to play. The meter is showing the velocity of MIDI Note On/Off messages, not audio volume level.

What you need to do is right-click in the tracks pane below your existing MIDI track (which you can just delete), choose Insert Instrument, and pick TTS-1 (a multitimbral General MIDI synth) or one of the "SI" synths that comes bundled with CbB (assuming you haven't yet installed any 3rd-party instruments).

An instrument track combines a MIDI track and a synth Audio track. To understand how it works, you should right-click the new track and choose Split Instrument Track which will separate the MIDI and Audio parts of it into separate tracks so you can easily examine and play with the controls and I/O assignments of each.

Edited by David Baay