Feature Request: Sound on Sound with Merge while recording MIDI

1 hour ago, Rene Pedersen said:

If you have 2 midi notes overlapping on the same key in PRV, when you try to select just the top one, it also selects the one underneath, unless you click on each note one at a time. (This is when you hold right mouse click and drag to mark multiple notes)

The only way you get overlapping notes like that is by editing or bouncing. It's not possible to record overlapping notes in single take from a controller unless it's sending on multiple channels and you're not restricting the input channel.

If they are the same duration and 100% overlapping I can see you wouldn't be able to avoid selecting both by lasso as the whole purpose of lasso is to select everything in the time and pitch range the lasso encompasses, regardless of whether it's visible or not.

In any case, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the DAW to be accomodate a situation that you can only get into by user error, and I'd be very surprised if lasso works differently in some other DAW.

EDIT: Ironically the "merge" feature being requested here would actually make this scenario of overlapping notes and the resulting editing challenges more likely.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, David Baay said:

The only way you get overlapping notes like that is by editing or bouncing. It's not possible to record overlapping notes in single take from a controller unless it's sending on multiple channels and you're not restricting the input channel.

If they are the same duration and 100% overlapping I can see you wouldn't be able to avoid selecting both by lasso as the whole purpose of lasso is to select everything in the time and pitch range the lasso encompasses, regardless of whether it's visible or not.

In any case, I don't think it's reasonable to expect the DAW to be accomodate a situation that you can only get into by user error, and I'd be very surprised if lasso works differently in some other DAW.

EDIT: Ironically the "merge" feature being requested here would actually make this scenario of overlapping notes and the resulting editing challenges more likely.

Either I didn't explain it properly, or you are misunderstanding what I intended to convey. I am not trying to record on top of already existing notes, I am doing a new take lane, where the notes are at the same key as some of the other takes, so 2 take lanes have overlapping notes. If I select 1 take lane and try to select all the notes at once, it also selects all the notes from the other take lane - So now I am essentially editing 2 take lanes at the same time, when I only intended to select the notes on just one of them...

Edited by Rene Pedersen

On 1/28/2024 at 3:23 PM, Rene Pedersen said:

I am not trying to record on top of already existing notes, I am doing a new take lane, where the notes are at the same key as some of the other takes, so 2 take lanes have overlapping notes. If I select 1 take lane and try to select all the notes at once, it also selects all the notes from the other take lane - So now I am essentially editing 2 take lanes at the same time, when I only intended to select the notes on just one of them...

Not sure why you want to have two identical lanes of notes, but the behavior you describe would only happen if the clips are Linked (as indicated by fine dotted lines around the perimeter) which may be your default for Editing > Drag and Drop in Preferences. Right-click one of them and choose Unlink > Independent.

Edited by David Baay

• 2 weeks later...