It Seems To Me

John Vere

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14701231

Demo so far for me to proof and decide what else it needs. Defiantly the vocals have a few glitches I don't like. 

But I posted this because this is a result of using Next to stem separate an old master for 1996 and use the Drums and bass to create the midi tracks. 

I'm pretty pleased to have the drum track turn out as good as it did. It sounds pretty close to the original performance by a drummer who was a huge part of my studio life back then Mike Nothcott. 

Mike would bring his little kid Joey over when he was 4 years old and Joey would play a simple drum beat standing up at the kit. It was a gas. Joe is now a session drummer in Vancouver working full time as a pro drummer. Dad Mike works at the sawmill here. He is still the most amazing drummer I've ever worked with. He's totally up there at the top. But he never went pro. Just bar bands. Its a shame. But at least the sawmill has a pension plan. 

A cool thing for me is this song is my first recording using my brand New Epiphone L 00  guitar. I actually used my stupid SM 7B because it's PU system is a typical Fishman that always suck. I'm going to replace it with a K&K system. I double tracked it. I added a SAW patch synth using DIM pro. If anybody has a better sounding one I'm not liking the way this one sits in the mix. It needs more BUZZZ. Have you ever watched Animusic?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGCTLJDoMGw   That' s the synth I want. 

• Like 3

Hi John,

I have very much appreciated and enjoyed your instructional videos and comments on the forum posts so wanted to check out your song. I think it turned out very well. I have some ancient recordings too with long distant former collaborators so this is inspiring.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. Ya the Saw tooth is Dim Pro,  I just bought a new Computer and I have been hesitant to load up all 500 or so of my freebies. A lot of those are very cool emulations of analog synths which is about all I'm interested in. I just remembered the Poly 800 , that will have a good old sawtooth. Stay tuned. 

Thanks, While you were listening I just updated it. I changed the Dim Pro for Ultra Analog synth. I keep forgetting about it. It responded perfectly to the mod wheel too.  I added a higher part to the last solo. I also added a little filler using Glassy a digital piano VST. It's got sounds that cut through a mix nicley. Ya the vocals will be next I've had a dry cough all week so waiting for that to go away. 

@Bajan Blue   what do you think of the Saw tooth now?  I think it's cutting through better. 

Hey, nicely done John ! . . . very easy to listen to on both headphones and speakers, just a great centered recording. The drums certainly drive it along, what a great feel they have, every nuance is there, found it refreshing, since most of the stuff I listen to these days is programmed drums, perhaps programmed by non-drummers. I love the way you've transported it here from darn near 30 years back, most impressive. You probably have a DeLorean in your garage as well ?

• Haha 1

@noynekker I’m pretty stoked about using these old drum tracks. 
Drum replacer works especially well with these stems from Bandlab.  The drum stems are stripped down to a basic kit. It actually helps.  I sure hope it is included with Sonar. But I’ve already separated most of my old songs. 
I agree about programmed drums. I’ve been doing it since 1985  I even have a digital drum kit .

They are not adding much to the song in the same way real drums played by a top notch drummer can do. 

Thats why I’m stoked about this little winter project. 

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Much appreciated .

Edited by John Vere