How to get windows internal midi device shown in cakewalk

RichardDuce

Question

I normally use cakewalk / sonar/ bandlab.. with my Yamaha S90 synth and when it is connected by USB, its midi devices show up
just fine in    Preferences - Midi - devices.
I want to use the windows internal midi device and I can tell it is available by attempting to play a midi file with  Windows Media Player Legacy
and the midi file plays just fine.
How ever the  cakewalk  Preferences - Midi  - devices page does not show the internal midi device so I can not select it
and I can not assign any GM instruments from it to the midi tracks.
How do I get that to show up
thanks in advance for any advice
Richard

1 answer to this question

1 hour ago, RichardDuce said:

I normally use cakewalk / sonar/ bandlab.. with my Yamaha S90 synth and when it is connected by USB, its midi devices show up
just fine in    Preferences - Midi - devices.
I want to use the windows internal midi device and I can tell it is available by attempting to play a midi file with  Windows Media Player Legacy
and the midi file plays just fine.
How ever the  cakewalk  Preferences - Midi  - devices page does not show the internal midi device so I can not select it
and I can not assign any GM instruments from it to the midi tracks.
How do I get that to show up
thanks in advance for any advice
Richard

There have been several discussions about this in the forum.  Due to issues with Windows 11, Cakewalk by Bandlab no longer lists it as a device. Sorry, I never used it, don't remember the name of it, and therefore can't do a search for the other discussions. 

UPDATE: Pure guesswork, but I found one of the threads:

NOTE:  The second post there references this post:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/65864-closed-cakewalk-202309-early-access-updated-to-build-62/page/4/#comment-469452   

On 9/3/2023 at 3:03 PM, msmcleod said:

IIRC support for the MS GS Wavetable has been removed due to incompatibilities with Windows 11.

Edited by User 905133