Midi map for Superior Drummer 3 for TD50x extra kit pieces

Tony Carpenter

Hi All,

I have run into a brick wall with SD3 using the Roland TD50x midi map. The issue is it doesn’t like me having 2 extra toms 1 extra cymbal and a percussion bar. I have read how to assign by learning. It’s not worked and generally stuffs up my existing drum kit trying to include those bits. I’m 100% sure I’m the problem, just cannot my head around something clearly. Help much needed and appreciated.

Tony

I would suggest starting with the basics - if you have a customized set of kit pieces/pads. Literally write (or type) out a list of the note/control numbers your kit pieces/pads are using first. Then using the note mapping options in SD3, figure out what is and isn't properly matching. -Going from there might be easier, as there are only so many kit pieces/pads, but many, many options for the software mapping. -That would be my basic suggestion.

Edited by JnTuneTech
clarifications...
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JnTuneTech said:

I would suggest starting with the basics - if you have a customized set of kit pieces/pads. Literally write (or type) out a list of the note/control numbers your kit pieces/pads are using first. Then using the note mapping options in SD3, figure out what is and isn't properly matching. -Going from there might be easier, as there are only so many kit pieces/pads, but many, many options for the software mapping. -That would be my basic suggestion.

Thanks, I have basically tried that, the window showing all the numbers was what I used. What I haven't successfully done is got them to stick where I need them. Back to the drawing board :). 

Cheers.

On 10/9/2023 at 9:30 PM, Tony Carpenter said:

Thanks, I have basically tried that, the window showing all the numbers was what I used. What I haven't successfully done is got them to stick where I need them

You may need to look more into the method SD3 uses for modifying & saving customizations, as it sounds as though you may only be making temporary mapping changes. -Each software package has its own methods to follow, and SD3 is usually good at providing documentation.

It may be worth learning how some of the mapping options for standard MIDI percussion works in Cakewalk as well, since once you modify a map, and in fact even when just using the default mappings on various rhythm instrument samplers, being able to quickly use them in MIDI input & editing can be very important. -I just recently worked with a project that needed some percussion, and here's what I used to make it easy for input & editing on the PRV in Cakewalk:

I decided to use a basic percussion MIDI track, and create a 4-bar sequence using the PRV in Cakewalk, with my sampler target being SD3 with the EZX - Latin Percussion library loaded. -All fine & well, as the default instruments in that sample set cover what I needed, and can easily be tuned & tweaked if needed in the SD3 GUI. One problem: Trying to use the sample set quickly by either note numbers or pitches is very tough. Lots of articulations, and even a few duplications, even with the default note mapping. -So, what worked for me - creating a note map that I can apply in the PRV to visually identify the correct map by kit piece name, instead of the default MIDI note number.

As it happens, SD3 has a decent set of tools for viewing and printing the MIDI note mappings of the library you are using. So, I printed out a PDF of the Latin Percussion EZX default note mapping, and saved it. Then, I opened it on my PC running Cakewalk, and resized & moved the windows for each app so I could see what I needed from each app (as in my case, I was using a single-monitor) simultaneously.

-This particular procedure will also apply in the Instrument Definitions sub-section in this forum, by the way-.  I decided to create an Instrument Definition (or optionally at the minimum a note map section) for the Toontrack - Latin Percussion EZX library, since I didn't already have one to import.  -It is fairly easy, but somewhat time consuming, as there are up to 128 notes to define, but with some keyboard shortcuts, and copy-paste operations, it can go by quicker, FYI.

The Preferences - MIDI - Instruments -  Define... dialog in Cakewalk is the easiest entry point for creating these note name maps (though you can also do it manually with a text editor). -The Cakewalk documentation covers the options & keyboard shortcuts, and in my case I often refer to that by using the "Help" in the Define Instruments and Names dialog (or by just searching the Cakewalk documentation).

Another recent post in this forum has a great animated example of using the input method described here: 

So, with the PDF map from the SD3 printout, and the Cakewalk dialog both visible, I created a note map to the sample kit. -I mostly made use of the keyboard shortcuts to enter the data, also copy-paste sped up entering the Instrument: format used here to preface each articulation.

CbB_example_Prefs-Adv-DEFINE-INS-create-note-names_annot_2023-10-11.thumb.png.e1210b4066a3a15e01fbaa53fb63056f.png

Then, once saved, I was able to put the MIDI track I was creating in PRV, and apply the Note Names map I had just created.

CbB_Example_PRV-MIDI-Track_Note-Names-Instead_EZX-LatPerc-map_2023-10-11.thumb.png.8953d3b478010b8b1a5c96a43a18525b.png

-And as a result, I was able to use the sample library fairly quickly in PRV in Cakewalk.

Similarly, Drum Maps can be created & modified, shared, etc. using their own set of tools, and can be just as helpful (and/or tedious to create), - just another option that works somewhat differently. They both can really help your workflow, so check them out!

In the context of the original post here - if you were to create and save a custom mapping layout for a sample library, and you wanted to quickly use that instead of the default view during PRV entry or editing in Cakewalk, that could be something you may also find useful. -Do also note (no pun intended!) that you can use the Define tool to update & correct the entries you already have, as well, as often as you need to, - I definitely have found that quite helpful.  😅   Otherwise, using a text editor to copy & paste when creating slightly modified similar sample sets can speed that procedure up a lot.    -Your mileage may of course vary, but when you manage to get your own custom mapping working properly, this technique can really help in repeated usage going forward!

Edited by JnTuneTech
additional clarifications - info

Thank you, very comprehensive, and If I was still on Cakewalk I know it was easy back in the day. What I am planning to do is, have my wife make notes of each bit of my kit as it shows up on the window in SD3 and then map what isn't covered afterwards. Appreciate the reply very much. Waiting on wife to have the free time now :).

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 1

@Tony Carpenter - I guess I should apologize then for going off the deep end!   If you are only using SD3 to analyze things, then carry on.

I will repeat my initial response - going back to basics might be easiest. You should be able to bring up the kit pad/note assignments on a TD50x master unit, and just write those down for reference. Then you would probably want to bring up that TD50x MIDI input map in SD3, save it as a different name, and edit/add the appropriate kit assignments to taste. - Mapping can be a bit of a task, but you will get it, and once done, you will forget all about it and just play on - right?  😎

• Like 1