Keep midi keyboard active while minimized/cakewalk window not active

spy

Question

Is there a way to keep midi keyboard active while cakewalk is minimized/not active? It sometimes works for me but most of the time when I active other window my keyboard stops working.

Sorry if this is trivial, I'm complete noob and can't find out how to do it.

Edited by spy

4 answers to this question

I can work, I was doing this playing live keyboards using Cakewalk as my VST host, but I was playing backing tracks using Win Amp. I think the ticket is everything has to be using the same sample rate. In my case I use 48. Otherwise Cakewalks audio engine shuts down if the other apps are using a different rate. Also make sure this box is not checked in Windows sound settings. 

Screenshot (1356).png

Hmm, I did indeed have that box checked, but it didn't have an effect. I was trying to find a setting for the sample rate in Cakewalk and I noticed that if I have my options (preferences) open it works in the background but when I close the options it stops working again.

For me this makeshift fix works since I just need to hear the keyboard while I'm scrolling a pdf or watching a video in browser.

So for anyone looking for a fix: click edit and preferences and leave it open and it should funnily enough work. I'm using DecentSampler for my midi instrument so if you use something else your mileage may vary.

Edit: Solution below thanks to User 905133

Edited by spy

9 hours ago, spy said:

Is there a way to keep midi keyboard active while cakewalk is minimized/not active? It sometimes works for me but most of the time when I active other window my keyboard stops working.

Sorry if this is trivial, I'm complete noob and can't find out how to do it.

Are you talking about a hardware keyboard connected either via a 5-pin connection or a usb  connection?

I use a usb keyboard and when I minimize CbB [Cakewalk by Bandlab] the software synth I have set up to play continues to be connected. 

Under [ P ] references look at Audio > Playback and Recording >  [    ] Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk Is Not In Focus. **

If it is checked, try unchecking it (followed by either Apply or OK].

--------------------------------------

** [ P } is the default keyboard short-cut to call up Cakewalk's Preferences settings. You could also use Menu Bar > Edit > Preferences.

Edited by User 905133

8 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Are you talking about a hardware keyboard connected either via a 5-pin connection or a usb  connection?

I use a usb keyboard and when I minimize CbB [Cakewalk by Bandlab] the software synth I have set up to play continues to be connected. 

Under [ P ] references look at Audio > Playback and Recording >  [    ] Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk Is Not In Focus. **

If it is checked, try unchecking it (followed by either Apply or OK].

--------------------------------------

** [ P } is the default keyboard short-cut to call up Cakewalk's Preferences settings. You could also use Menu Bar > Edit > Preferences.

This is the setting I was looking for. I was searching under MIDI tab but it was right under my nose in Audio tab. Thanks a bunch!

• Like 1