Save phrases breakdown as a template (comping)

Riccoboni

Question

In the comping process of Cakewalk, we start by cutting each take into musical phrases, so as to then compare each phrase in the different takes.

Can this phrases breakdown be saved as a template and applied to another track, itself containing takes, to compare?

2 answers to this question

not that i have found. all the takes are physically in one WAV file and the takes are "logical / time pointer" divisions within it.

what i did discover not long ago - if i have a single track and i divide it up on phrases, say 10 bars and 20 splits. if i copy that into another project (obviously grabbing all the sections 🙂 ) then i have "guides" to work with and then the splitting a track with multiple takes is fairly easy to align. one could do the same by adding markers and copy & pasting them, but by accident i found this to be more relevant to the task at hand since the phrase divisions were already aligned w/o have to add extra markers. the downside is you now have more audio clips in the target project (so more space consumption) and if the new phrasing is outside the splits you made, then its not helpful as you need to make them anyways.

net-net: i just go in and do the main splits on the track with the multiple takes and work from there. if i need to make additional splits then i'm right there and just do it. but if i had, say, several tracks coming in from different people and needed a single reference, the aforementioned technique would work (at least for me),

Edited by Glenn Stanton