Removing crackle from a master track?

Toby King

Question

Hi! I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to remove static noise or crackling sound from a final mix? Had the final master and was happy with it until a small but very disturbing little crackle found its way into the mix somehow. I know how to fix this while recording, Im wondering now if there is a way to get rid of it from a final mastertrack. The final mix with all tracks and individual channels are no longer available sadly. Much obliged!

5 answers to this question

Wouldn’t it be a simple matter of re- exporting the mix? Possibly your buffer settings are too low? Sometimes larger projects need preparation like bouncing a few instruments etc. 

And make sure nothing else is  running in the background, turn off the internet etc. 

Edited by JohnnyV

36 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

Wouldn’t it be a simple matter of re- exporting the mix? Possibly your buffer settings are too low? Sometimes larger projects need preparation like bouncing a few instruments etc. 

And make sure nothing else is  running in the background, turn off the internet etc. 

I only have a wav file ready to master. So no individual tracks to mix or bounce. But sure I will try exporting that again, also search for problems before and after mastering. I was mainly curious now to know if there was a way to actually remove crackle from an already finished project.  Thanks for your reply!

There's ways but that's not what a professional would do unless they had absolutely no other option.  Any process that removes artifacts will also alter the file in some way.  The degree of success depends on the quality of the tool. And the good tools are probably not in your budget.  If there are any flaws in an exported mix it is best practices to re export it and deal with it at that level.  And this method is free. 

Edited by JohnnyV