How to "separate" a track has contains the two halves of a stereo feed

Edward Allen

Question

Hi

I have imported the raw WAV files from my mixer (in a drag and drop manner) and I get this:

unnamed.png.c395de892cba4a54d5fb09f64bfdca51.png

So looking at the 2 orange channels which are the L and R of an drum play along book.

I had 2 separate feeds for the two halves of a stereo audio track (from the drum  "play along book) BUT for some reason instead of getting TWO separate WAV files each with their half of the stereo signal I am getting two tracks BUT BOTH parts of the stereo feed are only on ONE track and the second orange track below it is just blank.

My questions are please:

• Is there a way to "separate" the 2 signals on the one track, so I can handle them as  L and R tracks?
  • I don't have this issue when I have my laptop with Cakewalk running directly connected to the mixer, as I can use the template in preferences to "pair up" the incoming audio feeds to specific tracks in my Cakewalk template, so I get 2 separate tracks that work just fine.  IS there any specific reason that these 2 feeds might get "combined" to a wav file as they have been here?!

Many thanks in advance for any insights

Edward.

2 answers to this question

1. Select the track you want to split.
2. Select "Bounce to Track(s)" from the Track View Tracks menu.
3. In the dialog, make sure the destination is set to "New Track" and the Channel Format is set to "Split Mono" then click OK.

As far as recording goes...

If your audio track input is a stereo input, you'll get a stereo recording.

If you have two tracks with the input is set to each mono side, then you'll get two mono tracks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

1. Select the track you want to split.
2. Select "Bounce to Track(s)" from the Track View Tracks menu.
3. In the dialog, make sure the destination is set to "New Track" and the Channel Format is set to "Split Mono" then click OK.

As far as recording goes...

If your audio track input is a stereo input, you'll get a stereo recording.

If you have two tracks with the input is set to each mono side, then you'll get two mono tracks.

Excellent thx! Simple when you know how 🤦‍♂️ !