Hammers & Waves 50% off at NI

Craig Fowler

I know there's been a general post that NI have lots of partner libraries on sale, but this is an especially good deal; haven't seen them this low before.

Most of the packs end up at $65 (e.g., the rhodes/wurli combo); the acoustic pack with three pianos still comes out <$90 which is a darn good deal. These are *excellent* instruments.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/pricing/hammers-waves-electric/

• Like 1

To someone with more of a trained ear i guess, How do these stack up against what you get with k ultimate, like noire, the maverick, etc. as well as the scarbee and all of the electric ones included - i listened to the demos from skybox but does it make a noticeable difference to go for these? I’m not sure how to tell the difference in sound. I’ve also started thinking.. if i want the best, and most versatile - should i just bite the bullet by saving up for keyscape, and call it a day? I’m not a “collector” per say (there are too many piano vi’s to enter that league), but if I had to pick something as the one trick pony, that’s what I’m trying to figure out 

Edited by dumbquestions

The acoustic pianos are very much of Noire's spirit in terms of combining really well sampled pianos with the fun sound generation engine. I like Noire a lot, but I find the acoustic H&W pianos more expressive - and to me the pair of acoustics uprights are lightyears ahead of the maverick.

In terms of the electrics, I don't (yet!) have the Skybox duo; only the standalone featuring the rarer 'tube' Wurli. The Scarbee versions in Kontakt still hold up quite well, especially the Wurli (IMO) - but in terms of realism and what you can do with the sound the Skybox versions are, I think, a long way ahead.

FWIW, I don't think you'll find Keyscape the best/most versatile based on what I read on the pianoworld forum (in particular, they seem unlikely to wow people who've got the better VSL pianos).  For $150 here you'll get a very nice mid-sized grand, two very different uprights, and both main flavours of e-piano. That's hard to beat, and the only thing really missing would be a concert-sized grand piano (or something that isn't a Yamaha, I suppose).

Even if you *only* want the equivalent of Noire 'pure' - the straight sampled instruments - these are really, really top notch. Add in the sound shaping engine, and they're a hard package to beat. A many-trick pony that does them all excellently!

Obvs, I'm a big fan 🙂

Edited by Craig Fowler
wrong word
  • Like 1