No audio coming in from Zoom L20 Mixer (even though Cakewalk can "see" it)

Edward Allen

Question

Hi there, so I'm just setting up my Zoom L20 mixer https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/digital-mixer-multi-track-recorders/digital-mixer-recorder/livetrak-l-20/ with CakeWalk, and I think (!) that Cakewalk is "seeing" the L20 OK, (see attached photo) BUT try as I might I cannot get it to get any audio channels / sound from the mixer, and I'm really stuck as to what the issue is.

I have the most up to date Firmware in the Mixer, and have the L20 drive installed on my PC laptop (Win10) too, which seems to be functioning fine. 

Any thoughts / insights on this would be greatly appreciated, or any images showing me what is should look like would be terrific. 

Many thanks in advance

Edward

IMG_2169 (2).JPG

11 answers to this question

Hey Guys Working with the Zoom live track L-20 and cakewalk. got the 22 channels in ok but having a major issue with crackling and popping on play back / recording , using a new high end laptop. had a computer tec out he said the computer has more than enough power to run cakewalk. he thins it is a issue with the software . any ideas would be helpful, also when i export the audio it plays back fine on windows media ,so it is recording ok.

easiest way to tell if it's the software (daw) is to try it in a different software (daw), and an easy and free option would be reaper if you don't have any others installed

/goodluck

Hi @col

I use the L8 as an interface. 
1- download and install the Audio Driver from Zoom website. 
2- Use ASIO driver setting. 
3- open the Zoom control panel and set the buffers to 256 to start with. 
4- Computers need to be optimized for Audio and computer techs have no clue about this. Run the Resplendent Latency Monitor app. 

Hi Thank you for all your help.

i Downloaded the Zoom L-20 Driver as zoom said,

The problem i had was is getting the 22 channels to show on the cakewalk program, so after reading online people have used  the Asio4all driver i  downloaded it and then got all the channels showing on the Cakewalk software.

I just tried this morning playing back the recording that was popping and cracking but  using the Wasapi instead of the Asio4all driver, i plugging the headphones direct into the computer and there was no audio playback problem at all. So  the issue is Wasapi wont show the  L-20 channels on the cakewalk software.

Also When reverting the driver back to Asio4all cakewalk bought up a message saying that the driver may not be compatible with cakewalk do you want to use Wasapi.

Is there a Asio driver that may work properly ,Im think the problem is the Asio4all . Thank you

On 8/15/2023 at 1:30 AM, John Vere said:

Did it come with an ASIO driver and did you install it and choose ASIO in the driver settings. You shouldn’t be seeing the on board audio as an option if you did. 

I cannot comment on the ASIO driver that is supplied for the L -20 as obviously it will be different. 

Did you watch the above video about using the L8 as a interface? That goes through all the important details of accessing all 12 channels of the L8. Possibly it might be the same for thr L20. 

You don't use asio4all with Cakewalk. It doesn't get along with it we are told by the developers. To get the Zoom ASIO driver to work properly you might even have top totally remove asio4all as I demonstrate I had to do with a Tascam driver in my situation. The Zoom driver was a bit fussy about just the Tascam ASIO driver possibly because it is very old. So I removed it. But defiantly get rid of all other ASIO driver in the Reg Edit app first. 

So  follow the video and report back and even post a screen shot of your audio setting. 

Edited by John Vere

Hi Again

I did uninstall the asio4all it doesn't show me any driver options now ,please see attached.

Thank you

439370785_1847480299034586_1899980582266963985_n.jpg

439366676_1396199597705472_4644359909927192842_n.jpg

437564610_745501281118271_1497886401960819193_n.jpg

437551001_757808373161025_1155863406888969278_n.jpg

437568889_986664969485869_6844253044962359241_n.jpg

Posted (edited)

What is not clear from your replies. 
Did you follow the instructions in the video including downloading and installing the driver? 
Have you opened the Zoom control panel? 
Have you set up a sample rate? 
Is the mixer in Interfaces mode?  I think yours has a switch on the back. 
Did you remove all other drivers other than the Zoom in the Reg Edit as showing in the video? 
Did you re boot the computer? 

And did you know you can take screenshots using the Windows/PrntScrn keyboard shortcuts it will go to the screenshot folder in pictures. 

Edited by John Vere