ADSR Drum Machine - Dragging MIDI Patterns into Cakewalk

Andrei Iacob

Hello,

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to ask, or if I'm wording this right (sorry, I'm a n00b), but in case anyone is familiar with this plugin (or any other similar VSTs - like HY-Slicer or others that allow importing / dragging MIDI info into the DAW), maybe I can get some clarification.

So, in short, this VST comes with a built-in sequencer section where you can create or modify beats (or whatever sample you chose to assign to its pads), then you can drag and drop the pattern on to a track where, normally, it should only create and trigger the patterns' notes.

However, when I try to do this in Cakewalk, for some reason it creates a MIDI clip where it automatically fills every available note with a very short bar of... information (?) which obviously sounds terrible (also inside the VST itself all pads blink simulatenously - showing that it basically triggers every available note at the same time).

Any idea why this happens and if there's any setting that I can check to see if I can get it to work as it supposedly should ?

Also tried this plug-in with Tracktion Waveform and apparently it works well there (dragging the pattern creates a MIDI clip with just the notes set in the pattern inside the plugin).

S1.jpg

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

definitely strange - if i drag and drop a sequence -- if i double-click to open PRV - i see individual notes. if i click on the clip, i then see all the extraneous notes.

the ADSR plays it as expected, and the AD2 of course plays all the notes - bad. i dragged the sequence into EZDrummer and it worked (no extraneous notes, but not aligned to correct pieces in the kit - cymbals instead of HH etc)

so it seems like dragging into CW and getting the extraneous notes is a bug of some kind. there doesn't seem to be a way to export from ADSR so no idea if the MIDI output could be triggering something that CW pays attention to, and other apps do not (a CC value etc)

I made a simple CAL script that solves this by deleting all MIDI notes with 0 length / velocity, which somehow still triggered all pads in ADSR Drum Machine. If anyone finds this useful, you can find it here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16tx4aq6TJ9xMuP7lG-CTZ6wArb2N5o_c/view?usp=drive_link

This is what it contains (you can check it by right clicking > opening it with your favourite text editor):

; this script removes all MIDI notes with a duration and velocity less than 1

(do
 (forEachEvent
    (if (&& (== Event.Kind NOTE) (&& (< Note.Vel 1) (< Note.Dur 1)))
    (delete)
    )
  )
)

Put it in your Cakewalk install directory > Cakewalk Content > Cakewalk Core > CAL Scripts.

To use it, select the clip by clicking on its header (so all notes are highlighted) and click on Process > Run CAL (or assign a keyboard shortcut to it).

• Like 3