Setting effects to process at higher bitrates

RexRed

At what bitrate does Cakewalk have the effects process at? How do you set this?

And when you load instruments, is there a toggle as to what bitrate they use?

What exactly does this double precision engine do?

Bitrate.png.a885a010dfb30333bf79261afb0cf16a.png

Does setting that to 64-bit  increase the bitrate of the effects and instruments? 

I am adding splice.com samples to my project, they are natively 24-bit I am not sure of the khz yet of these samples.

I record my vocals at 32 bit and 96khz. But Melodyne is knocking them down at least to 24 bit.

Melodyne must keep the 96khz because only one frequency rate is possible in a project.

So the only reason to record at 96 would be if my effects and some of my VSTs have samples that are 96khz (I think a few of them are, the ones that take a long time to load.)

It would be nice to have some 96khz pads, bass, piano (and effects processing) ... Something that helps raise up the quality of the files that are limited to 24bit 48khz.

And then there are convolution waves versus algorithm reverbs. Which of the two are likely to be 32bit 96khz?

And then compressors and EQs? Which of these might process in 96khz?

I have 18 Intel extreme cores. it would be nice to put these to the test. 

Eventually it will all get mixed down as 24bit 48khz but I like to think that that snapshot of a truly higher quality file might show in the final render.

Edited by RexRed

In your previous thread about 32bit interfaces, I posted a link to a section of the CbB documentation that covers the precision used to communicate with plug-ins. This is indicated with dots below the plug-in strip in FX racks.

Plug-in technical details may be covered in the plug-in documentation. Without this documentation, a way to inspect the plug-in internals (not a typical user level activity) or a cooperative developer willing to provide these details, the internal workings of plug-ins are hard to know.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It has been over a month since I started using 32 bit recording, I do have a 24 bit RME Fireface UCX II but the 32 bit recording is so noticeably better (to my ears)

that I will not be going back to 24 bit recording.

I am so completely sold on this, no product has improved my sound as much as this.

I have always suspected that my was driving my audio interface too hard at times and it was distorting my sound.

That is an impossibility now.

The RME device works great routing out all of my other devices on my PC and running system sounds and I have the outputs of the Zoom going into the RME as well.

Totally happy  with the 32-bit change.