Cakewalk Crashing On Startup (FIXED)

Celestial Borhau

Question

earlier today I had been using a Bluetooth MIDI device, unfortunately I could not get it to work correctly on Cakewalk and so I looked online and was advised to change the MIDI Driver to UWP, after applying this change the whole application froze and stopped responding. 

Now, whenever I open Cakewalk the starting screen freezes and stops responding too and no matter how long I wait it doesn't start responding again. As of now I have tried rebooting in safe mode and shift running Cakewalk which did not work, I've also tried renaming the aud file to aud.old but obviously this didn't work as it is a Midi driver problem, not an audio driver one. Is there any way to fix this? I would really like to be able to use my DAW again.. 

I am on windows 10, 64 bit.

Edited by Celestial Borhau

2 answers to this question

As you figured out Aud.ini is does not affect the MIDI driver mode.

So how to figure out where this value is stored.

I could not remember but since Aud.ini is not a contender this usually points to the registry. 

There are two possibilities:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk

The CbB specific values are stored in Core under these paths.

To test if this value is stored in the registry, I

• Exported both registry entries using regedit
  • Changed the MIDI driver in preferences
  • Exported the registry entries again
  • Used diff forcing a text comparison of the registry exports and 
  • Determined the MIDI driver value is stored in CoreMidi in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core

The values for CoreMidi are

• 0 for MME
  • 1 for UWP

If I had no way to figure this out, a clean install of the DAW includes removal of the registry entries. This would solve the problem too. Be aware that step nine of the clean install process may result in the loss of 3rd party plug-ins. Consider moving the VSTplugins folders out from under these paths to a safe location before performing this step

Open the following directories and delete their contents: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk and C:\Program Files(x86)\Cakewalk

• Thanks 1