Changing Patches on Korg Triton VST

Strife

Hi! I’m getting back into sequencing after many years away and have downloaded the demo of the Korg Triton VST. I’m pretty certain I’ll buy it, but I’m banging my head against the wall with one issue that almost definitely is user error. 

For the life of me, I can’t figure out how to switch banks/patches on the Triton VST from within Cakewalk. I have imported the Triton.ins file and can select patches, but this has no effect on the sound that plays. Similarly, if I select the patch I want in the Triton UI and then record my track, it reverts to patch 1 when I reopen the project. 

I’ve also tried sending CC 0 and 32 messages followed by a patch change in the event editor and this has no effect either. 

I would much appreciate any help that this group can provide. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. Definitely no unexpected program change in the track. I’m recording the midi track from scratch. I inserted the CC and patch change events to see if I could force a patch change, but it didn’t do anything, so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. 

1 hour ago, Strife said:

Similarly, if I select the patch I want in the Triton UI and then record my track, it reverts to patch 1 when I reopen the project. 

I don't have that particular VSTi, but I do have another that exhibits the same way, but only in the VST3 version. -Even some VST2 synths will not respond to patch changes, without consulting the settings required in their documentation. Some VST2 synths require enabling MIDI patch changes manually, and some VST3 versions have other suggested workarounds for MIDI patch changes. -It all depends on the particular plugin. -On mine, the patch saving routine is even particular, as I get the same default to patch 1 in a default bank... but instructions in the synth manual helped with that. -Still a pain though!

For the Korg Triton in Cakewalk, you can use the standard patch change command either in the MIDI track settings, or as a patch change MIDI Event in the track itself

Bank 0 to 3 corresponds to Bank A to D
patch number corresponds to the patch number of the given bank.

I am not sure how to get to the EX8PCM banks as entering a bank greater than 3 just selects Bank 0 on the Triton VST. (Maybe someone else can enlighten us)

Note: This worked on both the VST2 and VST3 version of the Triton plugin.

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

For the Korg Triton in Cakewalk, you can use the standard patch change command either in the MIDI track settings, or as a patch change MIDI Event in the track itself

I'm so glad to hear from someone who's got this working in Cakewalk. Would you mind possibly attaching a screenshot or two showing this (or maybe even a Cakewalk project file)? I have tried this repeatedly before posting but am not getting a patch change on the Triton VST (I'm using VST3).

3 minutes ago, Strife said:

I'm so glad to hear from someone who's got this working in Cakewalk. Would you mind possibly attaching a screenshot or two showing this (or maybe even a Cakewalk project file)? I have tried this repeatedly before posting but am not getting a patch change on the Triton VST (I'm using VST3).

Sorry, I have already uninstalled the demo of the Triton VST.

But I made sure the MIDI channel of the SIT was set to Channel 1 rather than “none”.

The bank select method was set to “Normal“ (Under the words “Patch Browser” down the bottom of the MIDI track inspector)

In the MIDI track Inspector (press “ i ” to show), under where you set to the MIDI channel, is where you put the bank and patch number (By default, they both say “None”) For the bank,  Just enter the number numerically rather than drop down.  The patch can be entered from the drop down or entered numerically.

To insert a patch change - Menu item > Insert - Bank/Patch Change.  Same deal as above.  Bank number numerically, patch number from the drop down or entered numerically.  Bank Select Method is “Normal”.

Apologies for lack of screenshots.

22 minutes ago, Promidi said:

But I made sure the MIDI channel of the SIT was set to Channel 1 rather than “none”.

Thanks for the quick reply and detailed notes. I will try this shortly and reply back. I really appreciate your help. One basic question - what is "SIT" above?

5 hours ago, Promidi said:

SIT = Simple Instrument Track

Thank you so much for your help! Your detailed instructions worked perfectly for the Triton VST2 plugin. I'm not sure why I can't get it to work with the VST3 but I'm totally fine and happy with this working on the VST2. Much appreciated!!

• Like 1