How To Set MIDI Channel For A Track?

Ian Bland

Question

I must be missing something obvious but I can't figure out how to set a MIDI track to output on a particular channel, e.g. 10 for good old GM Drums. I'm expecting some kind of means of selection in the track but can't find anything. How's it done?

3 answers to this question

You can set it in either of these two places highlighted in red below (note that to see it on the track, you'll need to pick a Track Control Layout that actually shows the MIDI channel (shown in green):

image.png.b43fe7a152eb718554ec57f7c2782676.png 

Setting the channel here will cause all MIDI events in that track to output at that channel, regardless of what channel is stored within the clip events.

• Like 1

You might have the BASIC workspace selected which hides those dialogue boxes.  Choose the Advanced Workspace or None.   It's gotta be the craziest plan someone ever came up with. Oh Lets make the default for our software hide most of the features so pour little Johnny won't be overwhelmed by all those boxes. Little Johnny has to go on the Forum and ask why everything is missing. 

I sure hope they fix this with the new Sonar. Make the Default "None" simple. 

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 1

Thanks @msmcleod and @JohnnyV !

That isn't very obvious at all. It seems like a strange thing to hide indeed, but then I'm not a fan of hiding things (like Windows hiding file extensions by default). I'd rather see everything to fiddle with rather than be baffled by absence...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1