Don't Panic it's just Software.

John Vere

When I read through Jesse's announcement  https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/58304-introducing-cakewalk-next-and-our-new-brand-identity/

My first thoughts were " I saw this coming a few years ago"  I mentioned the whole idea of them sitting around after Gibson gave the boot and some smart thinkers said  " This is  software with huge potential if given some bug fixes,  but it's not cross platform and it has only a small loyal following. It seems to have some stigma attached to it in the recording community.   What can we do to save it? It seems a waist to just toss it out. Why not fix the bugs, and then make it free for a few years to build up a much bigger loyal following?  Then when we get the numbers up we can revisit charging for it again." 

I was bashed for even thinking this way.  

Anyways this is great news for all us long time fans of anything Cakewalk offers. And we will have 3 choices. That's going to make a big difference for many. 

This so much reminds me of the change to X1 from 8.5. We will most certainly hear the same rants and babble about the new Sonar etc. etc. Already people are freaking out. Why? If you don't like it you can do just like the handful of people who didn't like X series ( they are still around ya know)  did and stay with the unsupported version of CbB forever.  Yes forever. They have said that there will be one more update to CbB and in that I predict they will finally remove the activation time out. Why not. It would not be cool to kill CbB.  That's why I'm confident they won't. It will become like 8.5, and the X series which all still have a fan club of users who thing CbB sucks.  I use other software I never updated which is from around 2014 now. They have CbB in excellent shape right now so it will be a great DAW for years to come and probably a huge fan base that might still be using it 10 years from now, 8.5 still runs on W 10 ( 11?) so CbB could possibly run on W 21 

It will probably become a sub forum.

This is good news that they also decided to completely re vamp Sonar. Long overdue since X1. But it seems they are just re vamping and not ditching the original foundation. 

My concern is that they will not remove the clutter as in the 9 ways to insert a instrument track.  

Looking forward to getting a Beta version of Sonar so I can start making tutorials about it. 

Oh, yes the main reason I started this thread. You will notice I reverted to my old forum ID. I also had to take down all my Videos. Legal reasons with using the name Cactus Music. I own the name only in Canada. So that happening and the fact that Cakewalk will change anyhow.  in the mean time you just need to use the Documentation which has all you need to know. https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, Sal Sorice said:

John, will you be able to re-post your tutorials under the new name? I've learned a lot from them and have many more I'd like to watch. Great stuff!

I will be doing just that but the timing of all this is bad. I have 4 gigs lined up so my focus is on practicing and fine tuning some backing tracks.
 I also just redid my computer with 3 new SSD drives and upgraded from 10 GB to 32 GB of RAM. I just don’t have time possibly until later this Summer.  Thanks for your support.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JohnnyV said:

I will be doing just that but the timing of all this is bad. I have 4 gigs lined up so my focus is on practicing and fine tuning some backing tracks.
 I also just redid my computer with 3 new SSD drives and upgraded from 10 GB to 32 GB of RAM. I just don’t have time possibly until later this Summer.  Thanks for your support.  

Sounds good - best of luck on the gigs!