Discovered something new today

I've been using Cakewalk/Sonar for quite a while, but I love how there's always new functionality to discover.  Thought I'd share this little story:

I had a mystery today.  I was working in a project, and all of a sudden the spacebar began stopping the playback and resetting the now marker to where I was, the behavior normally associated with ctrl+spacebar.  And ctrl+spacebar would stop playback and move the playhead back to the now marker.  In other words, spacebar and ctrl+spacebar got switched.  What had happened?  I hadn't changed the keyboard shortcuts to reassign them, and looking at the keyboard shortcut menu I saw that spacebar is reserved and can't be reallocated at all, so I was really confused.

It turns out hitting ctrl+w swaps the behavior of spacebar and ctrl+spacebar, as outlined here, without changing any of the key bindings.  I routinely hit ctrl+s all the time when I'm working on a project, so I must have hit ctrl+w accidentally at one point.  (It wouldn't be the first time I've accidentally hit the wrong key combination.  I can't count the number of times I've accidentally switched to screenset 6 when trying to switch to the select tool, for example!)

Anyway, I'm delighted to discover ctrl+w.  It's really handy and I'll be using it a lot going forward.

Makes me wonder how much else there is to still discover?

• Like 5

Good find! 👍 I've been using spacebar in the "jump back to start"-mode for some time and find it very useful. But it takes some time getting used to... 😅

The switch shortcut is actually one of the shortcuts that are displayed in the menu (not all are!):

image.png.9ec3242df78f9ccaf68f49c985db9a3e.png

That’s a feature I’ve used for a long long time. I am constantly switching between the 2 modes as I work. I can’t see not having that feature. I noticed in Movie maker the space bar always returns to where you started but the Enter key stops where you are.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John Vere said:

That’s a feature I’ve used for a long long time. I am constantly switching between the 2 modes as I work. I can’t see not having that feature. I noticed in Movie maker the space bar always returns to where you started but the Enter key stops where you are.  

I tried switching between them, but I could never remember which state I was in and constantly pressed the wrong combo. So I had to settle for one permanently (space = rewind). :)

Just to be clear for others that read this thread. 
Ctrl+W = Toggles space bar behaviour between the now time stopping were it is / or  rewinding to where you started. 

I don’t see that it matters if you forget which behaviour is set. If it stops where you are and you wanted rewind you simply press Ctrl W. You’ll have to manually rewind the first time but next time you stop it will rewind.