Using Cakewalk by BandLad for live performance

Tincho

I would like to know if there is any guide on how to use the Cakewalk by BandLab to perform live, using it as a host for vsts or virtual instruments, and controlling it from a keyboard.

I have inserted in the track view several synthesizers, which are activated when selecting the track, but I would like to know how to control Cakewalk to change sound or vst during live performance,

Does anyone have experience using Cakewalk in the described way?

Any help is welcome. Thank you very much!

If you want create a project "on the fly" (so add/replace VST/VSTi or generic way to change the sound), especially without keyboard and mouse, better get host/controller designed for that (f.e. NI Maschine). For just changing the sound on particular track you can use "sub-host" approach (f.e. NI Komplete Kontrol + keyboard).

Cakewalk supports MIDI controllers, for direct steering and as a "Control Surface". Using the first option your particular VSTi can be MIDI learned to adjust particular parameters using particular knobs/buttons, some VSTi also allow changing presets this way.
As Control Surface (key word for Cakewalk is "ACT"), you can ask buttons/pad on your controller select tracks, control transport, etc.
In both cases you have to prepare the project (s) for your live performance, with all assignments already done before.

• Like 2

Thank for your prompt answer. I have a Korg NanoKontrol2 as a control surface, but I can't find how to map a track selection into Cakewalk. I can map many parameters, as solo, muting, volume etc. per track, I can also map many parameters in my vsts, but I need to change the sound performing live throug a midi comand. ¿Do you know how to map a track change, or how to change the vst that is generating the sound output by a midi signal?

Too bad I had a whole tutorial on exactly this topic. I use Cakewalk as a host for live keyboards all last winter. It was easy. I just assigned channels to each of the instruments and all I did was change my keyboards output channel. I also assigned the knobs to things like Volume and Chorus using Midi learn.

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 6:32 PM, Tincho said:

Thank for your prompt answer. I have a Korg NanoKontrol2 as a control surface, but I can't find how to map a track selection into Cakewalk. I can map many parameters, as solo, muting, volume etc. per track, I can also map many parameters in my vsts, but I need to change the sound performing live throug a midi comand. ¿Do you know how to map a track change, or how to change the vst that is generating the sound output by a midi signal?

If your keyboard can switch channels easily, you can follow mentioned by John Vere way instead of selecting tracks. That has more chances to work reliable.

--------------

At this point I want to mention that  following method is NOT for live performance in front of big auditory... At the end I will give an example "why".

--------------

I hope you are not using "remote control" way. It is limited...

You will have to use Control Surfaces plug-ins approach for anything above mapping particular control in the project to particular hardware element. 

In "ACT MIDI Controller" that is "Next/Previous Selected Track" assignment to buttons.

In "AZ Controller"  that is a combination of "Strip Track <Current> -1/+1" and "Function Select strip" Actions.  "Strip" Action allows absolute track selection (including by name) and so you can pre-define buttons to select particular tracks instead of moving up and down.

"Mackie Control" will not help there with NanoKontrol (real Mackie has "select" buttons) and "Generic surface" doesn't has that function.

Some controllers allow computer keyboard shortcuts, so up and down keys. But I don't think Korg has that.

--------------

As promised... Put several synthes on several tracks in the project, "Echo" follow focus, so when you select particular track you play one instrument. Now press one note and without releasing it select another track (f.e. by mouse). Press second note... with a bit of luck you will understand what I mean...🤪

With my set up I toggled the Global input echo so all tracks were always available. As I said it was real simple. Just changed channels on the controller and the corresponding instrument played. 

Then I figured out that all Cakewalks controls have Midi learn built in and I used that to assign the volume and if an instrument had chorus or an effect I wanted to do live. Used it for about 4 months without a hitch. Just make sure you connect the keyboard before opening Cakewalk and the dedicated project. 

To use Remote control just right click mouse on the control you desire to use. Select "Learn and wiggle the knob on the controller. 

1196126718_Screenshot(530).png.5dea9e78b14cfcad8eb5368da51ab415.png1723342843_Screenshot(531).png.8a3e7a985892e6121374fdf1fdde5c19.png

27 minutes ago, John Vere said:

With my set up I toggled the Global input echo so all tracks were always available. As I said it was real simple. Just changed channels on the controller and the corresponding instrument played. 

Then I figured out that all Cakewalks controls have Midi learn built in and I used that to assign the volume and if an instrument had chorus or an effect I wanted to do live. Used it for about 4 months without a hitch. Just make sure you connect the keyboard before opening Cakewalk and the dedicated project. 

To use Remote control just right click mouse on the control you desire to use. Select "Learn and wiggle the knob on the controller. 

1196126718_Screenshot(530).png.5dea9e78b14cfcad8eb5368da51ab415.png1723342843_Screenshot(531).png.8a3e7a985892e6121374fdf1fdde5c19.png

"4 months without a hitch" with global echo and build-in MIDI learn (remote control) ??? Man, you are lucky. With that approach I had a problem within the first 4 minutes  the first time I have tried to use it, with my first MIDI controller, with one instrument on one track.

I have assign the first knob to the track volume. Controlling? Yes. But something is wrong with the sound of the synth... reloaded the project. Everything fine. Controlling the volume - my synth is crazy again. Changed the synth - everything is fine, I can control the volume and that second synth produce expected sound. Problem with the first synth??? Not really... Cakewalk remote control doesn't block assigned MIDI, so it "leaks" to synth

Good to know. I was using some pretty basic instruments. True Pianos, Sweet case, DB33, Lounge Lizard, Fury 800 and Combo model F. 
I also use a Roland A49 which has great Midi drivers which I think is important to stability.  Midi 2.0 hopefully will resolve the issues from the last 4 decades.  

Edited by John Vere