[SOLVED] Quick retuning of an old 432 hz recording?

Andres Medina

Question

Hi, I need to adjust the tuning of an old recording in which the orchestra was tuned to 432 hz.

I need to adjust the whole tuning to 440 hz (today's standard), but didn't find a way using Melodyne Studio, nor using the transpose audio commend, which goes in half steps.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by Andres Medina

4 answers to this question

Are you OK with changing the time factor as well as pitch? -Disclaimer - I'm terrible with math elements, so I don't know if the tool I am thinking of has the right range settings, but I would look into the method described by Craig Anderton, on changing the entire pitch & timing of an audio file, just like we used to do with varispeed on a tape machine:

Craig Anderton - How To Do True Tape-Type Varispeed In Cakewalk-Sonar

I have used this technique, and though I use it most to do full semitone adjustments, it does offer up to +-49 cents adjustment, and in fact I just used it to nudge tuning on a sample, and if I knew the proper math... I'm sure someone here will laugh & help out, but anyway, adjust the audio file up to the cent level you need, and I would think that would do it.

image.png.537227b194232178ab430536d99d28a0.png

(Yes, just an example, not the right value!)

Edited by JnTuneTech
words

1 hour ago, JnTuneTech said:

Are you OK with changing the time factor as well as pitch? -Disclaimer - I'm terrible with math elements, so I don't know if the tool I am thinking of has the right range settings, but I would look into the method described by Craig Anderton, on changing the entire pitch & timing of an audio file, just like we used to do with varispeed on a tape machine:

Craig Anderton - How To Do True Tape-Type Varispeed In Cakewalk-Sonar

I have used this technique, and though I use it most to do full semitone adjustments, it does offer up to +-49 cents adjustment, and in fact I just used it to nudge tuning on a sample, and if I knew the proper math... I'm sure someone here will laugh & help out, but anyway, adjust the audio file up to the cent level you need, and I would think that would do it.

image.png.537227b194232178ab430536d99d28a0.png

(Yes, just an example, not the right value!)

Great...! I'll give it a try.

1 hour ago, Andres Medina said:

Great...! I'll give it a try.

-Just remember, that technique will speed up the tempo too. -And, FWIW, it took me a bit to figure out - select the audio clip first, then open Loop Construction (view - tool(?). (- I did it from the Views selection in the file menu, as I hadn't seen that one since I don't usually work on loops much, but that is just me!)  -Also, maybe try it on a short section of audio first, I'm not sure how long of a recording you are talking about here.

Edited by JnTuneTech
punctu - ation!

15 minutes ago, JnTuneTech said:

-Just remember, that technique will speed up the tempo too. -And, FWIW, it took me a bit to figure out - select the audio clip first, then open Loop Construction (view - tool(?) - I did it from the Views selection in the file menu), as I hadn't seen that one since I don't usually work on loops much, but that is just me!  -Also, maybe try it on a short section of audio first, I'm not sure how long of a recording you are talking about here.

Spot On! it worked just fine. Yes, it took me a while to read the OPEN THE LOOP CONSTRUCTION VIEW b ... jeje

Yes, I struggled a little bit with Loop construction, but made it work.

Yes, there is a limit in the audio length: in my case, it worked splitting the long clip in two, each one around 7 minutes long (it's a lot! - this was a whole movement of a Beethoven Symphony).

I did all the steps and was able to fine tune by pitch cents (-23 cents), and voilá... the audio matched my VSTs.

Thanks a lot!

• Thanks 1