Variable rate playback speed

Rick Lang

Used SONAR/Cakewalk for 20 years. Recording SD3 (and every other drum sampler) via my e-kit on commercial releases. At times the tempos are unbearable though, so just as REAPER has it's "Varispeed rate" function, to use if I need to record some (too) fast passages in 190 BPM, I was hoping that Cakewalk would consider developing something similar.  Meaning that I can slow down or speed up the playback/recording playback of the project seamlessly in it's entirety (all audio and MIDI tracks equally of course) with the twist of a button. 

I have been thinking about the "varispeed" simulation suggestions, & current workarounds for a while now, and still wondering...

1st of all, true varispeed involves changing both the speed and pitch. @Rick Lang seems to be seeking speed change, not necessarily pitch. If so, the reference pointed out above by @reginaldStjohn would be OK, but in a studio environment, probably doing that via a temporary mixed track - audio in one track, MIDI as is, would be more reasonable & likely to suffer less performance-wise, I would think. Then just export the MIDI created in the slower version, import that back to the full version, etc.

As for truly changing both the speed and pitch, -as happens with changing tape transport & capstan speeds, I have used the method described by Craig Anderton.

How to Do True Tape-Type Varispeed in Cakewalk/Sonar

It works, and again, I find it most useful on a single audio track at a time. The limitation there is that you have to MIDI tempo match to the new file created, play in your new material, and then integrate that back into the original speed project, which takes a lot of work. Probably fine for drum MIDI work, but overkill if you don't need the pitch change as well.

I haven't tried any of the other DAW solutions for varispeed emulation yet - do they all work so simply, or are there limitations, such as increased latency, audio degradation, etc? Any other experiences out there?

Edited by JnTuneTech

Thanks for your replies. It really was not a matter of any workarounds or using Audiosnap following project tempo since I have tried that a good while ago. I have no intention of detecting transients and marking 50 tracks with heavy distorted guitars playing progressive rock in 15/16. They will be off before the first bar. And it should as noted only be a temporary non-destructive thing for recording, then changing back (in this case anyway). I think it's safe to say that CW does not have anything similar as of yet, which is why I posted this in the feedback loop section.