Adding FX to the end of a Midi Clip?

Stephen Power

Question

I have a 15 bar MIDI clip which is just a simple chord sequence, voice by a 'choir' plugin. I'd like to extend the last chord with a lot of delay, but not extend the note length. I also don't want the FX on the rest of the clip, or at least, not as much.

I tried splitting the clip in the middle of the last chord, and turning on Sonitus Delay, that I had added to the track (see below). But all I get is a jump where the split is, and not the nice spacey ending I need.

Can anyone advise me on on how to achieve that please? Thanks for any suggestions.

delay clip.jpg

2 answers to this question

2 ways that I could think of:

1. Freezing the clip, then slicing it and putting the delay on there as a clip FX. I don't recommend this though because A: you lose the flexibility of having the MIDI playing the synth back directly, and B: if you ever un-freeze the track, you'll lose the delay FX and have to go through the process again.

2. Adding it as a send to a Bus or Aux track. So either insert a new Bus or Aux track, put the delay on there and set the wet/dry to 100% wet. Then on your synth track, add a send to that Aux or Bus with the delay on it. Then you'd add automation to turn up the send level only for that part that you want to hear the effect on.

Option 2 is great because not only will it do what you want, but you can adjust the curve to smoothly add in delay where you want it, and you can use this same delay for multiple tracks if you like - just make a send to it on each of the tracks, so it's going to be better for your CPU usage overall.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

2. Adding it as a send to a Bus or Aux track. So either insert a new Bus or Aux track, put the delay on there and set the wet/dry to 100% wet. Then on your synth track, add a send to that Aux or Bus with the delay on it. Then you'd add automation to turn up the send level only for that part that you want to hear the effect on.

Option 2 is great because not only will it do what you want, but you can adjust the curve to smoothly add in delay where you want it, and you can use this same delay for multiple tracks if you like - just make a send to it on each of the tracks, so it's going to be better for your CPU usage overall.

Excellent help, thank you @Lord Tim. I'll give option 2  a go tomorrow and report back.

• Like 1