Windows 11 "Core Isolation" Security settings--on or off for DAW?

Cecelius2

Hi:  I just installed Windows 11 on a new build (12700k with Noctua NH-D15) and love it; I am new to Win 11.  Wow, this is a fast machine.  However, I have security alerts to turn On "Core Isolation".    I have read old posts that some people had trouble with Core Isolation on while installing Cakewalk when Win 11 first came out.  I have it OFF.

There are two settings that have alerts:  First is  the "Memory integrity".  Second is the "Local Security Authority protection".  

Should These two Core Isolation settings be turned on?  

Thanks

C2

Core Isolation has been around since many later iterations of Windows 10, but Microsoft made it a default "on" security item in Windows 11. -I have ran, installed  Cakewalk, etc. with it both off & on, and never noticed any issues. -It is more likely to give issues with device drivers, as that is the type of thing that is targeted with that function. -I still have notes around regarding how to remove the old hidden drivers, such as old Logitech & WD drivers that are not compatible, and can be hard to find and remove to allow enabling Memory Integrity on older systems that have been upgraded, for instance.  -But I digress!

Local Security Authority (LSA) Authority protection - is, as of this writing, causing many folks issues with warnings, and as of my latest investigations, relates to a security certificate model change in Windows Defender operations. That error is also not something that seems to have any effect on Cakewalk, that I have seen. -One recent Microsoft forum answer regarding that error stated that basically, they "are aware of the problem and are working on it..". There it was also stated that if the setting was enabled, and the system had been rebooted afterwards at least once and it still showed enabled afterwards, the error message could be ignored. -I am for now leaving those systems I notice the error message on enabled & rebooted for now, but I am doing this of my own choice - not any official guidance at this point.

-For official info on any of these functions, etc., a search using those terms in your post regarding alerts you have, will get you more (possibly) direct & updated guidance for them properly.

That all being said, again, neither of those issues seem to directly effect Cakewalk, -but in related notes, I have had lots of interference from Windows Defender when running Cakewalk, many exceptions to Real-Time Protection in the Anti-Virus component seem to be needed to keep it from slowing down loading plugins on startup, for instance, -but your mileage may vary.   So far, however, it never stops any installation of Cakewalk, for me anyway.  -Yet!

• Thanks 1