what percussion sound

LNovik@aol.com

Question

Hi,

Though this involves music, it doesn't have  anything directly to do with Cakewalk, other than I'm trying to make  a recording with the help of cakewalk My question is: on the song, Funeral for a Friend, by Elton John, does anyone know what the  castanets like sound is that appears repeatedly but only over a short segment of the song. It must be about 4-5 minutes into  this  approx 11 minute song, I suspect it may be a jam block or castanets--or just a synthesized version of either.  it's where Elton plays those  dramatic chords  near the end of the first 1/2 of the song, and before the "Love lies Bleeding" section starts.

Thanks.

LNovik

4 answers to this question

I was curious so I looked on the web . . .

This page had a castanet "roll"  sound effect at 120 bpm - sounded close . . .

https://pixabay.com/sound-effects/search/castanets/

Also listened to "Roxy Music - Dance away" - it has castanets in it and they sound about the same type of sound - my vote would be to use castanets (whether synth or samples).

Syphus

Edited by Syphus

For what it's worth - I also have covered that song in a Cakewalk project, and there definitely are castanets (likely provided at the time by percussionist Ray Cooper) in the break/build up section. In my current version, I found castanet samples I feel match very closely to the source, using a Dimension (now Rapture) Pro percussion part, as well as in Native Instruments Battery 3 Library.

I did initially program it using TTS-1 that comes with Cakewalk (and do still use that for some of the synth parts), and the castanet sample in there is certainly quite useable, -especially for free! -Worth a lot if you need it!

Edited by JnTuneTech
sample source, clarification