Using CakeWalk-DAW as a VST-plugin inside another VST-Host or DAW

Ashraf Manassa

I wonder if it is currently possible (or as potential hopefully near-future feature) to use Cakewalk DAW working as a VST plugin under another VST Host (like Gig Performer) or evn another DAW. It would be very useful especially in live performance and for music practice or production to be able to use all amazing powerful unique features of Cakewalk within anothe VST-Host.  Almost 95% of DAWs in the market don't offer this feature. 

is it a potential feature Cakewalk programers would consider in future updates? is it big or difficult to ask for? 

Regards. 

In this case, Gig Performer is Rolls Royce :)

Joking aside, @Ashraf Manassa, can you please describe what is your use case? There are many ways to connect a DAW to a VST host, but the approach depends on what you want to achieve and on your operating system.

For what is worth, Reason works great inside Gig Performer:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ashraf Manassa said:

I wonder if it is currently possible (or as potential hopefully near-future feature) to use Cakewalk DAW working as a VST plugin under another VST Host (like Gig Performer) or evn another DAW. It would be very useful especially in live performance and for music practice or production to be able to use all amazing powerful unique features of Cakewalk within anothe VST-Host.  Almost 95% of DAWs in the market don't offer this feature. 

is it a potential feature Cakewalk programers would consider in future updates? is it big or difficult to ask for? 

Regards. 

You can use blackhole (on Mac) or virtualCable (on Windows) to route audio from your DAW to GP and back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infinitum said:

In this case, Gig Performer is Rolls Royce :)

Joking aside, @Ashraf Manassa, can you please describe what is your use case? There are many ways to connect a DAW to a VST host, but the approach depends on what you want to achieve and on your operating system.

For what is worth, Reason works great inside Gig Performer:

Thanks @Infinitum for you reply. I know I can open CW as a stand alone appication and connect it to GP through vertual midi loop app (but usually there will be some issues and not overly smooth and organic) compared to be under one VST host (especially GP) and have all VST plugins to connect as simple or complicated as you want. I want to use all extensive midi features within CW (to name a few: Step sequencer, Piano Roll, Event list editing, Arpeggiator, ....etc) and intigrate all of these all-in-one resources into live performance. 

Yes, using virtual cables is one approach, but there are also alternative solutions for routing audio and MIDI.

You can check out this blog article: https://gigperformer.com/how-to-use-a-single-client-asio-driver-with-multiple-applications-on-windows/

Also note that some of these features are available as separate VSTs. You can find many free arpeggiators, for instance.

Depending on what you want to automate there may be other approaches, as well. For example you can use a single MIDI file to switch sounds automatically, send PC events, CC events, etc.  etc. 

Edited by Infinitum
typo
  • Like 1