No playback sound

lili

Question

My Cakewalk app is now registered, I used the online keyboard to record successfully, and I see the signal but no sound comes from either my headphone jack or built-in speakers.  I've selected both options everywhere I can find, and I've spent several hours on this - I wonder why?. My HP is a laptop - is it too cheap? It plays music ordinarily.

Edited by lili
typos

2 answers to this question

We'll need a fair bit more information than this to be able to help. "HP Laptop" could really mean anything.

Just for starters, can you tell us what CPU and amount of RAM you have in your laptop? It's unlikely going to be your problem if this is a fairly modern laptop, but that at least will eliminate that as one of the problems.

Next, it looks like you don't have an audio interface and you're using the inbuilt audio of the laptop. This can work fine for just playing tracks back or using softsynths, but if you ever want to record, this will be a big limitation for you, and I'd suggest a proper audio interface. You can get one of those for under $200 that will take a lot of problems right out of the equation.

Which version of Cakewalk are you using? If you go to Help > About Cakewalk, you'll see the version number in there.

Finally, a screen shot of your Audio preferences would definitely help. Open Cakewalk, and go to Edit > Preferences (or press P) and look for the Audio section.

A screen shot of the Devices, Driver Settings, and Playback and Recording screens will tell us a lot. 

I'm going to take a guess and say you have a Realtek audio chip, and you have the output set to one of the digital outs instead of a speaker out. But we'll be able to give you exact information when we see how you have it set up.