Cannot select input !

Mike Durff

Question

Hello:

Total noob question. I am trying to record audio using the mic input on my PC.

Following the Cakewalk instructions:

I open a new empty project, click the + to add track, so far so good, then it says to select input by using the dropdown menu... when I click on the dropdown menu my only option is "none".  

The mic input or no other input shows up in the dropdown menu.

What am I overlooking ?

Thanks

6 answers to this question

On 2/10/2023 at 7:08 PM, 57Gregy said:

Welcome to the forum.
Press P on the computer keyboard.
What is listed and selected for Playback and Recording Timing Masters?
What is your driver mode?
You may have something selected that isn't compatible with Cakewalk.

Here's what I see. You'll notice the dropdown box says "none" and the dropdown arrow also produces "none".  How do I change this?

image_2023-02-13_123841222.png

image_2023-02-13_124028923.png

19 minutes ago, Mike Durff said:

You'll notice the dropdown box says "none" and the dropdown arrow also produces "none".  How do I change this?

Since you're using the onboard sound card, try plugging something into the mic input of the computer. Often, nothing will show up unless something is connected.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Since you're using the onboard sound card, try plugging something into the mic input of the computer. Often, nothing will show up unless something is connected.

You nailed it... Exactly as I say at 1:40 in the video.  I also mention that on board audio is generally only suitable for working with midi and pre recorded audio. Most attempts to record using on board audio are doomed to issues, like synchronization of audio tracks. Watch the videos,  and pay close attention. It's easy to miss important information.  Let us know how you make out and what it is you were going to record. 

• Like 1