AKAI MPK261 Config

TheoGRM

Question

Hey guys, 

I am trying to configure my AKAI MPK 261 Controller in the ACT MIDI Controller - 1 and I am stuck on the "Shift B1 through Shift B8. I am trying to assign the Record and Loop switch but the mouse cursor will not click on the green box like int R, S, B Rows. So  clicked on Play/Stop, Stop etc and everything is working just fine. But how to I get the Shift B3 and other Shift buttons to get them to learn the keyboard Record input. I know it has to do with the shift button, but there is nothing on my keyboard that says shift. But Then again, I cannot even click on the box to program it. Any help very much appreciated.

Edited by TheoGRM

2 answers to this question

"Shift" is logical definition in "ACT MIDI", you can "Shift Learn..." it on the Options tab of "ACT MIDI". Which button of MPK261 you define as "Shift" is up to you. It just should be able to send MIDI (momentary, so it sends a message when you press and another when release) to the DAW (see AKAI documentation which buttons do).

"Shift B1" and "B1" use the same incoming MIDI for B1, just the reaction is different when B1 is pressed when "Shift" is already pressed. So you can't "MIDI Learn" "Shift B1" separately.

"ACT MIDI" is fixed to support up to 8+8+8+1 controls (separate MIDI messages). MPK261 has more physical controls (8+8+8 strip controls, 5 transport buttons, "DAW Control" section). And there are "Banks", which switch MIDI messages sent by the same controls. It is not possible to assign all available controls with one instance of "ACT MIDI". You may switch to "Generic Surface", it supports more controls. Note that both "stock" Cakewalk surface plug-ins have limitations what and how you can assigned, if you need more freedom you can use "AZ Controller".  

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 5:58 AM, azslow3 said:

"Shift" is logical definition in "ACT MIDI", you can "Shift Learn..." it on the Options tab of "ACT MIDI". Which button of MPK261 you define as "Shift" is up to you. It just should be able to send MIDI (momentary, so it sends a message when you press and another when release) to the DAW (see AKAI documentation which buttons do).

"Shift B1" and "B1" use the same incoming MIDI for B1, just the reaction is different when B1 is pressed when "Shift" is already pressed. So you can't "MIDI Learn" "Shift B1" separately.

"ACT MIDI" is fixed to support up to 8+8+8+1 controls (separate MIDI messages). MPK261 has more physical controls (8+8+8 strip controls, 5 transport buttons, "DAW Control" section). And there are "Banks", which switch MIDI messages sent by the same controls. It is not possible to assign all available controls with one instance of "ACT MIDI". You may switch to "Generic Surface", it supports more controls. Note that both "stock" Cakewalk surface plug-ins have limitations what and how you can assigned, if you need more freedom you can use "AZ Controller".  

Thanks so much for this information, though the AKAI as many other MIDI controllers are not so great in explanation, you were! But I managed to fix these problems with an uninstallation of the Cakewalk and Reinstallation. The knobs and sliders all work perfectly fine.