Replace an Audio File

Scott Kendrick

Question

I have an audio file on a track cut into multiple clips. I went back to the source file so I could use Izotope RX 10 to clean some pick noises and scrapes. I thought I could use the same name and drop that audio file into the Audio folder for the project (renaming the original file "backup"). Tried this and cakewalk loaded a blank file (no audio in it).

Is there a way to do what I'm trying to do? Copy a new file over the currently used audio file in the project and have cakewalk use that file? OR, take a file in a project and point it at a different file?

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

i usually do cleanup on RX before i set up the mix project. 🙂 that said, do a search for CW Tools Editor - the option to edit the utilities menu lets you set up an audio editor.  

close CW. run the tool editor (you need to download it first)

image.png.74f5b001364c0b225fbb1b6b741ff7cd.png

save (write) a registry file to your desktop (or wherever you want) then open it.

image.png.e5e085eee51be063c47e48e7e6431a5c.png

open CW and a project, select the clip to edit, then select your editor from the utilities menu

image.png.6d2571cd781424575c46b91626f7e75e.png

image.png.459c9e51a351ac76d89f415d59560943.png

save the file when done.

• Like 1

your recommended workflow is very logical - I just happened to buy RX 10 after the project had started, but in the future it will be my first step in the process. Suprised that even without a built in feature for replacing the file - I couldn't just copy it over. It must be storing something in the project file (?). Your work around makes sense.