Remove lower register piano rumble

Ken Newton

I have a piano track that I recorded into BandLab.  The location of the piano did not lend itself as a decent recording environment, and I recorded directly into my iPad (on which BandLab is installed).  I imported it into Cakewalk, and I’ve gotten to sound a little bit better, but still sounds like shit in the end mix.  There are many online articles that go into detail of how to deal with bass rumble, from a bass, but I’ll specifically looking for an outline/outlines of how to remove the deal-breaking low end that comes from the piano.  My skill level as a recording engineer is about 3 on a scale of 1 - 10.  Any help will be appreciated.  Thank you, -Ken

Well the tricks that work for the bass should not be vastly different from the piano.   One thing I like to try that's a little out of the ordinary in cases like these is grab iZotopes' RX  De noise.  Not sure it will work here, but is a lifesaver  a lot of times.   I think you can a free version of Ozone 9 Elements that has good EQ tools also.

As a guy who has minor music  mixing level skills I also like to use a multi compressor in situations like this.    Cake gave this one away years ago.  If you have it... it is really good.  I use it on a master bus on all my recordings.  I like to use presets on this as it helps compensate for potential issues with my mixing/listening environment.  It is a very good way to dampen down unwanted noises also.

LP MB multiband compressor

vimage.png.f4f8d201cb164b43012c353da7c7935d.png

Good Luck!

image.png

Edited by Jimbo 88
duplicate

17 minutes ago, Jimbo 88 said:

Well the tricks that work for the bass should not be vastly different from the piano.   One thing I like to try that's a little out of the ordinary in cases like these is grab iZotopes' RX  De noise.  Not sure it will work here, but is a lifesaver  a lot of times.   I think you can a free version of Ozone 9 Elements that has good EQ tools also.

As a guy who has minor music  mixing level skills I also like to use a multi compressor in situations like this.    Cake gave this one away years ago.  If you have it... it is really good.  I use it on a master bus on all my recordings.  I like to use presets on this as it helps compensate for potential issues with my mixing/listening environment.  It is a very good way to dampen down unwanted noises also.

LP MB multiband compressor

vimage.png.f4f8d201cb164b43012c353da7c7935d.png

Good Luck!

image.png

Thank you Jim Gaynor