keyboard recording with usb microphone

willem windig

I have two tracks. One for my midi keyboard and one for my USB microphone (MME driver). When I sing and play the keyboard the microphone only records my voice and somehow corrects for the keyboard sound. It would be nice if my microphone also recorded my keyboard so that I can estimate the latency of my usb microphone. Any suggestions?

I do know and I'm telling you the solution.

You can listen to my advice or you can bang your head against the wall for God knows how long fiddle-farting around and not fixing the problem until you either finally do what I suggested in the first place or give up

Your choice.

Edited by Byron Dickens
  • Like 1

It is really strange. When I use bandlab the usb microphone records my voice and keyboard without problems. Somehow cakewalk ignores the keyboard sound. From some points of view that is nice, of course, but I just do not understand it. Moreover, it is driving me somewhat crazy. It is not related to my midi keyboard being hooked up. If I only have a microphone track it does the same.

To Byron Dickens. Thanks for getting back. So, what is a budget solution? A microphone that I can plug into  the ear headphone socket? Or the XLR plug with an adapter cable? I am still greatly puzzled. In bandlab I can record voice in keyboard through the USB microphone. In cakewalk the USB microphone only hears my voice.

There are myriad options in the$100-$200 range that are more than suitable. Focusrite and PreSonus are both highly regarded.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a dedicated ASIO driver from the manufacturer and not some third party.  Go to the manufacturer's website before you buy and look for the driver download. If they direct you to download ASIO4ALL, cross that one off your list and move on.  Beringer's lowest tier interfaces use it, but the ones a few steps up the ladder have real ASIO drivers available. That is something to watch out for.

At this point, any microphone with an XLR connector will do

34 minutes ago, willem windig said:

Thanks. I will look into it. Since  XLR does not plug in computer I assume you need a cable to convert to headphone plug?

Most purpose-built audio interfaces (link provided to Sweetwater as an example of interfaces available) provide XLR or 1/4" connections suitable for microphone use.

In general, most users ultimately purchase at least two special pieces of hardware in addition to a computer for DAW use

1. an audio interface
  2. a MIDI controller/keyboard, drum kit or other MIDI input device

Strictly speaking they are not absolutely necessary but really can make a difference in the DAW experience.

USB microphones are a combination of a microphone and audio interface in one. They are not a good choice for DAW use if one also needs to record physical instruments and MIDI. This is why most recommended purchasing microphones and audio interface separately. USB microphones when creating multi-track recordings from a variety of sources.