Midi info sent by Cakewalk, on startup

LeFOU

Hello,

I am having a problem and my debugging  has lead me here:  I would like to know where I can fin the MIDI information sent out by Cakewalk on startup.

My Moog Sub Phatty "freezes" on Cakewalk startup and I must do a global settings initialization to get it to function once again.

I found two ways to bypass this problem:

1- Turn the Moog on only once Cakewalk is started.

2- Uncheck the Moog Sub Phatty in the MIDI devices outputs to be able to start Cakewalk with the Moog already turned on (but need to check it back on to use it).

My searches brought me to a user's post describing pretty much the (exact) same problem (on the old forum) but no solution.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Problem-with-Moog-Minitaur-and-Cakewalk-Sonar-m3750583.aspx

Hopefully someone will be able to inform me, or has a solution to this problem.

Thank you.

Edited by LeFOU

I don't know if the Moog supports this, but the usual way to initialize a synth is through what's called a sysex dump.

It's been awhile, but back in the 80's I had a multi-timbral Yamaha module that I used sysex with. Once I had the module configured just the way I wanted, I did a state grab, in which Cakewalk sends out a sysex dump request to the synth and receives a bunch of data back (that doesn't mean anything to Cakewalk). That data then gets stored as a sysex bank with your project. You can then have Cakewalk send that dump out to the synth on startup, which should put it back into the same state it was in when you got the dump earlier.

This might help explain it better.

Thank you SirWillyDS12, I have installed MidiView but it only shows me what the Moog is sending, not what Cakewalk is sending.

Thank you biflipper, I will read the info on SYSX you linked.

If someone does know how to capture midi data sent from cakewalk, please let me know.

Thank you.

Edited by LeFOU

On 12/21/2022 at 2:47 PM, LeFOU said:

If someone does know how to capture midi data sent from cakewalk, please let me know.

Thank you.

I use another PC with MIDIox on it to capture what Cakewalk sends. 

Maybe what yuou can do is load MIDIox, comment you midi out to your MIDI in, disable MIDI in on Cakewalk and see what MIDIox captures.

http://www.midiox.com/

On my system, when cakewalk starts, Cakewalk sends CC122 value 0 on all channels to any external MIDI ports even if there are no MIDI tracks in the startup template.

You might want to look for active send commands as well.  I can't remember if Cakewalk send these.

I create MIDI files that are intended for an external Yamaha external module.  When I load these files, any sysex banks that are in the project that are set to “auto” get sent when that project loads.  Also, any MIDI tracks with volume, pan and patches set that is set to the external MIDI interface gets sent as well.

My PC is configured as per signature.