Using Yamaha ASIO USB driver with Cakewalk

Bill Clark

I can select the ASIO driver (Yamaha USB driver 2.1.3), and it mostly works, but there is a persistent crackling sound. When I select this driver I get the message "This driver is known to be incompatible with Cakewalk," and it offers to switch to WASAPI. But in WASAPI mode, the crackling is *much* worse.
Is there a different ASIO driver I can use? How can I use this Yamaha audio interface with Cakewalk?

I'm use the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver V1.6.6 with my Motif XF6 and have no problems with it... One thing you might want to check is MMCSS... If your USB driver 2.1.3 is like the driver I'm using MMCSS is select-able in the driver... If you have it enabled in Cakewalk and in the Yamaha USB Drive it can create problems, search this forum for MMCSS...

You may also want to check and make sure your Yamaha USB driver and Cakewalk are set to the same sample rate...

Edited by SirWillyDS12

I've resolved the problem. A generic ASIO driver was selected in Cakewalk (I'm not sure how, since I had selected the Yamaha driver earlier), and when that driver is selected, the Yamaha driver is greyed out. But deselecting the generic driver allows the Yamaha driver to be selected, and with that change, the problem is gone.