Cakewalk Not Listed/Not Listed/Listed in Task Manager

Todd Dufrene

I have a weird problem. When I start Cakewalk it appears in the task manager - until a project loads. Once any project or even a blank new project is loaded it disappears. But then, when I exit Cakewalk - it reappears. Then many times it won't go away until I manually end the process.

After a project loads and Cakewalk disappears from the task manager, Windows will run programs that usually only run when nothing else is running. That, of course causes Cakewalk to run slowly and/or drop out often. It's as if Windows doesn't know Cakewalk is running.

I am running Windows 11, but it also did the same thing on Windows 10 before I upgraded.

Anybody else having this issue? Any ideas? Any existing threads about it I may have missed?

That's a symptom of an orphaned process, when a program hangs around in memory not doing anything because a previous instance didn't shut down properly. If you see an instance of Cakewalk in Task Manager but you're not actually running Cakewalk, kill that process and all should be well. If that doesn't work, a cold boot (Restart) will fix it. The reason for Cakewalk getting stuck like that usually comes down to a hang, and it'll often be the audio driver that's not responding, although it can also indicate a hardware problem such as a failing disk drive or bad RAM.