Unexpected Ripple Edit Behaviour

murat k.

This is sometimes happening. When we do the selection and delete while the ripple edit function is selected, it shifts by the amount of the selected note, not as much as the selection.

Ripple.thumb.gif.62a8faf251974aff406b5b4b3fdebd9f.gif

This happens in both Ripple Edit Selection and Ripple Edit All functions.

It is not on the screen recording but after I duplicated the clip on the right, Ripple Edit Selection function worked as it supposed to be. It deleted the left clip and shifted the right clip by the amount the selection.

This is a quirk of MIDI clips.  The selection is shrunk to the extent of the notes before the ripple edit operation takes place.

I've never really got a definitive answer from the team as to why the selection shrinking happens, apart from it was done that way by request of users a long time ago - certainly as far back as the Cakewalk Pro Audio days.

This certainly caused issues when trying to sort out the split/comping behaviour when doing MIDI loop recording for the 2022.06 release.

It is something I'd personally like to have changed, or at least make it a preference.  The main obstacle is that it's baked so deeply in the code, it's difficult to ascertain where it's happening and under what circumstances.  There's also the danger that there's other code that relies on this behaviour.

We'll try to make time to look at this again.  

• Thanks 2