Tempo change for 1 MIDI track

LNovik@aol.com

Question

I am trying to learn a lead from a downloaded MIDI file/song. In the past, I have just gone to "Project," and chosen Insert Tempo Change. I can easily do that, and the tempo DOES change for a second or two, but then reverts to the original tempo. Perhaps it's the software that I've downloaded. I've tried it just for the track I'm working on and even after choosing all the tracks. Is there a way to get the MIDI speed to, in this case, slow down, and stay that way for the approx 12 measures that I want it to while learning how to play the lead?  I do find it much easier to learn a lead when first slowing down the tempo considerably.

Thanks.

LNovik

3 answers to this question

Have you checked the tempo track (In Track view, press ALT+T to open tempo track) to make sure there are no tempo change events throughout the track?

If Tempo change events are present, you might want to offset the entire tempo map (right-click the Tempo track and select Offset Tempo Map) 

Note: When I create MIDI files, I do add tempo changes throughout for realism.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I DO see that the tempo from the MIDI track I'm trying to learn keeps changing--as you had suggested. SO, when I go to Project and insert a Tempo change that is quite a bit slower, it only lasts for a second until it goes back to a new faster tempo. I did try going to the Tempo track and selected "offset Tempo Map". However, that did not work to bring the tempo of that whole approx 12 measure section to 1 uniformly slow speed.  Perhaps I was not doing it correctly?

Thanks.

LNovik