Triumph after Tragedy and Adversity.

Vernon Barnes

I know there are a few people here who like Big Big Train, so I am posting this here.

Things have been very difficult for bands in general recently, for Big Big Train even more so. When David Longdon the lead singer and one of the main writers was killed in an accident last year the band had already gone through major line-up changes and suffered the usual COVID disruption to tours and recording schedules.

The gig in Aylesbury (UK) I attended last Friday had been postponed twice and tickets originally went on sale in 2019, it was supposed to be the start of a European tour, but the last-minute cancellation of the Leeds HRH Prog festival blew a hole in the bands cash flow and the tour had to be cancelled. I was lucky to attend one of the few shows that went ahead.

The show kicked off with a set by Norwegian band Dim Grey who were very good indeed.

When Big Big Train took the stage only three of the eight members were the same as the line-up I saw in Newport before Lockdown.   I was familiar with the new lead guitarist Dave Foster having seen him with his own band, Panic Room and the Steve Rothery Band. I had also seen the new violinist Clair Lindley with Stackridge and DML in the past. Dim Grey’s Oskar Holldorff was standing in for Carly Bryant who had other commitments. There was also a slightly smaller brass section, just four with the euphonium being dropped supplementing the core members.

But the big question was what would new vocalist, Italian Alberto Bravin, who had previously been with PFM be like?  He was a very good choice, certainly not a David Longdon soundalike but well suited to the material. He also added additional guitar and keyboards to the line-up. By the second song “The First Rebreather” one was sure they this was still Big Big Train and they were still excellent.

Probably the most moving moment was when rest of the band left the stage and Nick D’Vergilio accompanied by Rikard Sjöblom on piano preformed David Longdon’s “Telling the Bees” in tribute. An American and a Swede and a very English song.

Gregory Spawton, the band leader, writer and bass player is always a retiring player right at the back, but nothing shy and retiring about this Rickenbaker playing. The extrovert Nick D’Vergilio made a particular point in ensuring Greg had a particularly enthusiastic standing ovation during the band introductions.

Times remain difficult but it was a triumphant come back and as they said, “the journey continues”.

• Like 3