Microphone Question

Ken Newton

Question

G’mawnin again,

First, thank you for your advice and admonitions regarding multiple posts and posting of files too large, I’ve been sufficiently spanked.

Und now, my first in a series of questions which follow my posts of yesterday.  This is a question about a microphone, hopefully it may here be addressed.  The mic is a Behringer B-2 pro.  I have found only partial answers in Behringer documentation.  The mic has 3 toggle switches; one of them toggles 3 ways, the other 2 toggle 2 ways; this allows for 12 possibilities of configuration.  My ultimate question here is: which is the best possible configuration to use with my DAW?  I’m using Cakewalk, of course, the mic is connected to an Alesis Multimix 4 USB FX board which is connected to my PC.   Unfortunately, I used WAY too much space yesterday, and I cannot attach any pics, if it is not too much to ask, could you look at the (oversized) pics I posted yesterday, in a series of 4 posts that included the words “Pics of My Gear” ?  Thank you, -Ken

*I’m fully aware I’ve been a pain in the @$$ so far, won’t happen again.

2 answers to this question

The switches have nothing to do with how suitable it is with the DAW, it's about what combinations are most suitable to the thing you're recording.

99% of the time you want the directivity switch set to Cardioid. 

The hi-pass (sometimes called low cut ), rolls off lower frequencies.  Unless you're recording a kick drum or a bass guitar amp, you may want to switch this on to help get rid of low-end rumble.  The only thing is, it's fixed at a particular frequency, so you may find that it sounds better with this switched off, and opt to use EQ inside the DAW to deal with any unwanted low frequencies.  Just use your ears on this one.

Unless you're recording REALLY loud instruments, I'd advise keeping the -10dB attenuator switched off.